beer and food pairings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmadness

Reaction score
So I'm just sitting here surfing and having a few beers. I got a little hungry so I grab a few tortilla chips. Next swig of my wheat beer tastes nothing like the previous. It almost ruined the beer. Was it the saltiness?? Is there a general guide of what food goes good with what beer out there. I think there is for wines right? I'm not a big wine drinker but I thought was a general drink this type of wine with steak, this type of wine with fish, etc. What have you found to be great beer/food pairings?

There was a decent writeup of beer pairings in the new-ish book "tasting beer". I don't know enough but to not eat. It'd be nice to be able to eat and drink in harmony though. Hope somebody has some ideas.

I have a book called He Said Beer, She Said Wine by Sam Calagione and... some wine lady. It's all about food pairings for both wine and beer, a pretty interesting read.

A wheat beer would pair best with a food that is fairly mild. Not spicy/salty/complex foods. Maybe a steak or cheeseburger. I think hoppy pale ales and ipas go great with spicy foods, especially thai food (best combination ever is a spicy thai dish and an Imperial IPA IMHO) beer advocates website shows food pairings on the right hand column when your on a beers reviews. They have done all the work for us. Food pairing serving temps and cellering capabilities

Honey brown cooked and served with white hots or a good brat. Banana bread beer with chocolate lava cake. Golden monkey by Avery with blue onion soup. Hog Heaven Barleywine and roast pork. Any nice roasty stout with Cuban bread. Sierra Nevada torpedo with cracked conch with pepper jelly and mango chutney. Fat tire with smoked tangy BBQ ribs. DFH 60 min with good Thai food or orange sherbert. Terrapin East Rider with a good Brie cheese. Sierra Nevada Brux with steamed mussels or Sierra Nevada Imperial Red with meatloaf, bison, and or ground lamb. I could go on forever the options are damn near infinite. Just to note... All I've said I've either made myself or had at a beer dinner, they're all delicious.

Garrett Oliver's book "the brewmaster's table" is full of awesome information on beer styles and food pairings.... I would definitely suggest adding it to your library.

I've found that the Cooper's English bitter I brewed goes good with smokey pit bbq. Especially beef,like chuck roast. I like wheat beers with fish/seafood. IPA's go good with dry rubbed/spicy pit bbq. They stand up well to the bold,smokey flavors when using dry rubbs & the like.

Back