Venice,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Methinks the 'good beer' will all be imported from the UK, Belgium, and Germany. I don't know of very many italian beers, but those I do know of are all mediocre lagers.

This link has a collection of "night life" places, and it looks like there are a few bars/pubs on the list. Might be handy if you are just looking for someplace to sit and have a good beer. I know you probably don't want to travel all that way to drink beer that is made back home in the UK, but Italians are obviously more into their vino than their birra.

(edit: changed link to show ONLY pubs and bars)
http://www.world66.com/europe/italy/veneto/venice/nightlife?subsection=Bars & Pubs

FYI: my late father-in-law immigrated from Italy when he was 17 years old. He drank Bud and Miller swill here in the US. His own words regarding this terrible american piss, "I didn't like beer until I came to America. This stuff (miller/bud) is much better than Italian beer."

-walker

Yeah, Italian beer is...not that good. I don't hold it against them since they've taken cuisine and wine as far or farther than any other culture. Anyways, if you're in Venice focus on the wine! The one beer I found palatable from Italy is Peroni Rosso (NOT regular Peroni!), and I would still go for a glass of house red.

orfy said:
Thanks, I guess I could give the beer a partial miss, I don't reckon I can go three days with out a quaff or two. :)

I drank a lot of Diablo (Belgium) beer :drunk: when I was in the Verona/Vicenza/Venice area.

Skip the Peroni :( unless you just want to say you've had it.

When you go to St. Mark's Square (Dogi's Palace) be sure you walk along the Grand Canal and past the palace. You'll see another building with a connecting bridge high on the 2/3 floor. The building on the right is a prison and the bridge is called the "Bridge of Sighs" (Robin Trower album and song of the same name). :D

Many people do not realize where it is and that they were so close to it.

Yeah stick with wine, it's so commonplace there and it's all good. I was never really a big wine drinker until I went to Italy.

I did have Peroni Grand Reserve (I think) which was pretty strong and actually not that bad... the regular Peroni isn't terrible either, but it's nothing to write home about. Birra Moretti is the other common beer in Italy.

Going to Italy for beer is like going to Belgium for whiskey. Stick with what the region knows best. The IT beers I've had were nasty, but that's because they're overly shelf-aged.

Thanks all,

I'm flying at nine in the morning. My last brew's been in primary for 6 days but is still chuging once every 20 seconds so it'll have to stay in for at least another 4 days.

I don't plan on spending too much. The flight only cost me £26 return inc tax.

If you're flying Ryan Air (I have) REMEMBER that they DO NOT recommend you use them for connecting flights (read the small print). If they fail to connect you you are out and need to purchase FULL FARE tickets.

It happened to me.

homebrewer_99 said:
If you're flying Ryan Air (I have) REMEMBER that they DO NOT recommend you use them for connecting flights (read the small print). If they fail to connect you you are out and need to purchase FULL FARE tickets.

It happened to me.

Thanks.

I know the deal. I've slept on a few airport benches before now. I never use them if I need to be somewhere or connect. It's not worth the risk.
When it comes down to it I don't need to be in Venice, it's just a jolly.

I don't like Ryan Air but at that price I'll let my morals suffer and use them. :)

The actual cost of my flight is 1p each way plus booking and tax of £12.99

Latest posts

Back