Lindemans Faro dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cntry036

Reaction score
Has anybody ever collected the dregs from this before?
I did, and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with them? Is there any bacteria, or is it a separate yeast they just use for bottling?

Im pretty sure that the faro has been pasteurized, as it could not be sweet otherwise

cuvee renee is a good source of bugs though....

do you know if they use a different strain for bottling because i've got an active starter of yeast from 2 bottles of Faro? I was just kinda wondering now if it is anything worth keeping and using?

Maybe artificial sweetener? I agree, though, it is sweet. I've got a bottle I brought back from Belgium (just happened to get in there) so I'm game to try.

Always what I thought, too. I'm willing to give it a try. Who knows? Worth a little DME. :)

i definitely got some active yeast out of 2 bottles.

How long did it take to get going? How does it smell?

Like the others I was under the impression that Faro would be pasteurized and force carbed becuase it is sweetened (classically anyway) with sugar.

I've never used Faro dregs. My logic is that I would want older bacteria whose complexity has matured a bit thus expediting the road to funkiness in my sour creations.

However I would reconsider if they were Cantillon Faro dregs.

@ oldsock. From 2 bottles it took about 2 days to see noticeable activity. I then stepped it up to about 5-600 ml. And within a day and a half it had about a .25 - .5 inch krausen.

Smells kinda sweet and like nail polish remover.
Any idea about what I've got? Anything worth using?

I've never used Faro dregs. My logic is that I would want older bacteria whose complexity has matured a bit thus expediting the road to funkiness in my sour creations.

However I would reconsider if they were Cantillon Faro dregs.

In general I've found that dregs from fresher beers work much better. Old beers tend to have less numerous/viable microbes and often only a small selection of the ones who contributed to fermenting the beer. This is one of the reasons Jolly Pumpkin dregs work so well.

@ oldsock. From 2 bottles it took about 2 days to see noticeable activity. I then stepped it up to about 5-600 ml. And within a day and a half it had about a .25 - .5 inch krausen.

Smells kinda sweet and like nail polish remover.
Any idea about what I've got? Anything worth using?

That is pretty quick, if it had taken longer I would have been suspicious tht you just had something from the air/vessel fermenting.

Hard to tell what it is, but nail polish remover is probably ethyl acetate (a ester that is a combination of ethanol and acetic acid) which is a bad sign that you have something in there that is using oxygen to turn alcohol into vinegar (could be Brett, Pedio, or Acetobacter). That is exactly what a starter I made from a couple old bottles of Lost Abbey and Russian River did. I would probably dump the starter and start over.

This is one of the big issues with making a mixed bug starter, some need oxygen, while it causes issues with others.

That is pretty quick, if it had taken longer I would have been suspicious tht you just had something from the air/vessel fermenting.

Hard to tell what it is, but nail polish remover is probably ethyl acetate (a ester that is a combination of ethanol and acetic acid) which is a bad sign that you have something in there that is using oxygen to turn alcohol into vinegar (could be Brett, Pedio, or Acetobacter). That is exactly what a starter I made from a couple old bottles of Lost Abbey and Russian River did. I would probably dump the starter and start over.

This is one of the big issues with making a mixed bug starter, some need oxygen, while it causes issues with others.

Agreed. I've "captured" "yeast" numerous times. The only ones I trust don't ever smell like ethyl acetate or just plain acetic acid. I dump the ones that smell like this even if I can see a pellicle and not a lactobacillus pellicle (meaning Brett or something similar).

appreciate all the input! I'll probably try again. Living in OK it's hard to find any beers that have bugs in them. Heck it's hard enough to find just good beer!

Back