Brew pot, sandwiched bottom or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
Is there a considerable difference when heating to a boil between a 5mm sandwich bottom or a single ply pot/kettle. I am going to full boils and have the $ to buy, just trying to make the best decision I can. I also posted a few days ago about burners and was wondering sq-14, sq10, or banjo? I'd like to get a few boils out of a tank of propane, but I don't wanna wait an hour for the water to boil. Which brings me back tho the original question, would having the thicker bottomed pot/kettle decrease heating times significantly? Or, would it be just fine to have a Bayou Classic singly ply pot. I'll be doing 5 gallon boils with a 40qt pot.

I have a 3 gallon stainless steel pot that I use for my partial boils. Its a pretty expensive piece of cookware and it has a really thick bottom maybe 1/2 ro 3/4 inch of SS. I have noticed that this pot takes forever to come to a boil. The SS seems to hold a lot of heat. If I had the choice I would go for a single ply bottom.

I would upgrade mine but im waiting to get a keggle for full boils so no reason.

I'm a little confused - what kind of pot are you considering acquiring? All-SS pots are terrible at heat transfer. To aid in even heating, lots of SS cookware has a sandwich bottom - aluminum between SS layers.

Back