wine gravity question ...heelllpppp lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Cat

Reaction score
Ok i am making a country wine from juice and using RedStar~Montrachet yeast ...its been in the one gallon glass jug for 23 days today. The OG was 1.140 , today i went to check it the gravity and in the process i broke a piece from the mouth of the jug so i decided to rack it and in the process i did a reading and the gravity reading on my hydrometer says 1.050. My question is should i still have to wait for it to go down to .990 or could i stun the yeast now and bottle it this weekend ?

Big_Cat said:
Ok i am making a country wine from juice and using RedStar~Montrachet yeast ...its been in the one gallon glass jug for 23 days today. The OG was 1.140 , today i went to check it the gravity and in the process i broke a piece from the mouth of the jug so i decided to rack it and in the process i did a reading and the gravity reading on my hydrometer says 1.050. My question is should i still have to wait for it to go down to .990 or could i stun the yeast now and bottle it this weekend ?

At 1.050 I think it has a ways to go yet. Is it still producing bubbles? Or check the SG readings after consecutive days. If fermentation is still active, it will be difficult to stop for bottling.

Wait to bottle.

No bubbles for about 4 days now... pr at least no bubbles during the times i am home

I'm thinking of leaving the trub behind and just adding an airlock til the Sunday and checking again.... is that a good idea? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated

Big_Cat said:
I'm thinking of leaving the trub behind and just adding an airlock til the Sunday and checking again.... is that a good idea? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated

Any time there is a good amount of sediment, you can rack. If there is no change in your SG between now and Sunday, you might be done.

I'd still wait to bottle just to let the wine clear up.

Absolutely do NOT bottle until the wine is completely clear and the SG hasn't changed for at least several weeks. And even if it's stuck at 1.050, that's way too high. Bottle bombs aren't just a mess- they are hugely dangerous!

Yooper... even if I add Potassium Sorbate to stun the yeast i could still have bottle bombs?

Potassium sorbate stops the yeast from multiplying. It doesn't kill them, so they'll continue to ferment but at a decreasing rate. Erego, bottle bomb possibility if you bottle now. Let it sit for a good long stetch. It'll be good for aging, for clarity and for piece of mind when bottling.

Yooper... even if I add Potassium Sorbate to stun the yeast i could still have bottle bombs?

Yes, or course. First, potassium sorbate doesn't kill yeast (or even "stun" it) in the least.

It inhibits yeast reproduction. But you have literally hundreds of billions of yeast in there, so they don't have to reproduce to ferment.

Since you started at a too-high OG, it might not finish all that low, but I would expect a FG of 1.040 or so. If it stays at 1.050 and clears, it might be done but I'd make sure to give it enough time. Starting at 1.140 means the wine is going to be SWEET. No way it would ever go to .990, and you can maybe cross your fingers that it will go to 1.040 at the lowest.

I will let it sit ... definitely don't want any mishaps especially while learning wine making ...

Thanks a bunch

One more question since i can't expect it to go to .990.... should i expect it to be at 1.040 ? Or where? Its so much easier to make beer for me lol but i won't give up, i want to learn this and learm it well

One more question since i can't expect it to go to .990.... should i expect it to be at 1.040 ? Or where? Its so much easier to make beer for me lol but i won't give up, i want to learn this and learm it well

If you add some nutrients, and keep it happy, it might go as low as 1.040.

The ending gravity is a function of where it starts. All yeast will die of alcohol poisoning at some point. Some strains will go to 12-14%, some will go up to 18%, and may even surpass 18%. But it's usually through some pampering to get there, and not starting at a high OG which stresses them.

Next batch, start with an OG of 1.085-1.100 and you'll end up with a more predictable finish.

In the future if you want to have high starting gravity, such as your current one, consider starting at 1.080, let the SG drop by 1/3 and add a specific amount of sugar, say 1 cup per gallon knowing it will add another 0.020 to your starting gravity, taking you to 1.000( total sugar added...just be sure to document your new SG after feeding)...and repeat this process until you ultimately hit the starting high gravity just based off of sugar additions alone. And as mentioned, keep in mind the yeast you pair this with as you may be able to reach alcohol toxicity and kill off the yeast or even have a natural residual sugar. I have found this definitely makes for a happier environment for the yeast, with less stalls.

Have fun!

Update:

I've been taking readings every third day and it hasn't changed from 1.050 so yesterday decided to do a taste test and wife loves it lol she says its sweet but yummy and the alcohol seems to sneak up which she prefers... I will be making more today but this time i will try it with keeping my SG below 1.100 and will update soon

ForumRunner_20121117_093710.png

Cheers :)

Big_Cat said:
Update:

I've been taking readings every third day and it hasn't changed from 1.050 so yesterday decided to do a taste test and wife loves it lol she says its sweet but yummy and the alcohol seems to sneak up which she prefers... I will be making more today but this time i will try it with keeping my SG below 1.100 and will update soon

Cheers :)

BigCat...

How much of this one did you make? Just thinking that you will want to keep this cool after bottling in case you do have live yeast in bottle. Or, bottle pasteurizing will kill any live ones.

Big_Cat said:
Doesnt pasteurizing change the flavor?

Not if you follow the stove top technique which is posted in the cider section. I have done it, and always keep one out for comparison and find negligible taste difference.

Ok Ive been worried about pasteurizing since I am having lots of people to watch out I dont ruin it by getting unpredictable off flavors so I am thinking of using Potassium Metabisulfite... ????? I am so confused :confused:

Back