Need Advice - High Attenuation & Low FG 1.002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage63

Reaction score
I just kegged a blonde ale and it finished at 1.002. I calculated an approximate apparent attenuation of 95%.

I'm looking for some advice on what might have gone sideways to bring this beer so low and dry.

Too much 2 row?
Too low mash temp?
Probobly a combination of several factors.

Recipe:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Efficiency: 70%
Pre-boil gravity: 1.037 (Target was 1.038)
OG: 1.047 (Target was 1.044)
FG: 1.002 (Target was approx. 1.008)

7.70 lb Pale malt 2 row
0.83 lb Carapils
0.55 lb Crystal 10L
0.55 lb Vienna malt

0.28 oz Centennial (55 min)
0.28 oz Centennial (35 min)
0.28 oz Cascade (20 min)
0.28 oz Cascade (5 min)

Yeast: WLP 001 Cal Ale (1L starter)

Single infusion batch sparge in 10 gal rubbermaid with false bottom
Mashed at 150 for 60 minutes

Thanks for any feedback out there. I'd like to brew this again this summer.

Are you sure everything is calibrated right? That seems to be a pretty low gravity for a recipe with over a pound of crystal malt. You didn't mash particularly low at 150, either. My first guess would be a problem with your instruments, but I might be wrong. How does it taste?

Sounds like the recipe looks alright. Haven't tasted it yet, so that variable still needs to be checked.

I calibrated my refractometer just before checking FG, and then plugged reading into Beer Smith to adjust for presence of alcohol. I did not calibrate before checking OG.

Well, I actually tried to fly sparge for the first time with water at 168 F. This is my 4th AG batch and thought to try fly. No formal mash out.

Sounds like that might have been an issue and the mash was still converting?

I second JonK. Double check with a hydrometer. That recipe/method doesn't look like a likely scenario for 95% attenuation.

You guys were right. Went to double check. Hydrometer came in at 1.006 and calibrated refractometer came in at 5.50 brix = 1.007.

Back