IPA recipe advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulgs3

Reaction score
I recently made this kit and loved it:

Grains:
16 oz Crystal 50/60
8 oz Carapil
8 oz Munich 10

Malt:
6# Amber LME
1# "Golden Light" DME

Hops: 4.0 oz Simcoe
0.5 @60
0.5 @40
1.0 @20
1.0 @ 0
1.0 Dryhopped 7 days

Yeast: 1056

The piney-ness is fading fast but the keg is almost empty, but there is an excellent hop bitterness remaining that I like.

The advice I need, is I want to repeat this recipe but I want to use different hops. Can someone suggest hops and a schedule and kind of explain why? My goal is to learn the different flavor of hops and I intend on studying as much as possible!! :tank: I don't understand hop schedule in relation to IBU. I've been playing with software, and the software lets me add them any time I want which isn't helping me learn.

I was going to post this in the newbie forums which is where I belong, but this forum seemed better suited.

The advice I need, is I want to repeat this recipe but I want to use different hops. Can someone suggest hops and a schedule and kind of explain why? My goal is to learn the different flavor of hops and I intend on studying as much as possible!! :tank: I don't understand hop schedule in relation to IBU. I've been playing with software, and the software lets me add them any time I want which isn't helping me learn.

I would stick with a similar hop schedule and keep the IBU the same. Centennial, Amarillo and Cascade work well on their own in Pal Ale. They can also be blended with each other and Simcoe.

Here's a breakdown of the hop schedule. Entering a hop addition by itself in the software will tell the you the IBU for each addition.
Hops: 4.0 oz Simcoe
0.5 @60 - You get the most IBU from this addition with the least amount of hop flavor.
0.5 @40 - This addition still gives a good amount of IBU, but with a little more flavor than the 60 minute addition. IMO this addition can be skipped in hop forward beers such as this.
1.0 @20 - This addition gives a small amount of IBU, but with quite a bit of hop flavor.
1.0 @ 0 - This addition gives no IBU, but gives allot of hop flavor and aroma

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to try that All Amarillo IPA. I have a feeling that following that recipe would be better for me to learn the different hops than swapping them out on my recipe.

I just did an all Centennial IPA with 4 ounces. I did

.5 First Wort Addition
.5 60 Min
.5 45 Min
.5 30 Min
.5 15 Min
.5 0 Min
1.0 Dry Hop 7 Days

This was a Two Hearted IPA I found on here somewhere. I would move the first wort hop addition toward the end of the boil, almost past my bitterness liking which I thought was pretty high. I recommend the Centennial though and would definitely like to try the Amarillo you guys are talking about. IPA recipes are a great discussion in my book though.

Anyone else have opinions on the Simcoe?

Back