Good idea from Heineken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usd to purchase "Party Fass" (party kegs) from my local gasthouses in Germany and it only cost me 8 Euros ($9.60 at the time)...and I reuse the kegs.

Heineken for $20 is NOT a deal at all unless you're Heineken...I know my brew costs a lot less than that even on my small scale...they're just racking in the dough...:mad:

The big question I have: without the time in sun-drenched green bottles, how do they get that trademark skunk-juice character into it? I wonder if they have special skunk extract that they add to the boil, or whether they just lager it in clear tanks that are located outside.

Evan! said:
The big question I have: without the time in sun-drenched green bottles, how do they get that trademark skunk-juice character into it? I wonder if they have special skunk extract that they add to the boil, or whether they just lager it in clear tanks that are located outside.

I havent personally tried this out of the mini keg, but when I have had fresh heineken out of a keg, it is nothing like it is out of the bottle, and is actually kind of good.

cubbies said:
I havent personally tried this out of the mini keg, but when I have had fresh heineken out of a keg, it is nothing like it is out of the bottle, and is actually kind of good.
Yeah, a good idea from Heineken would be to put their beer in brown bottles so it doesn't taste like sunk ass.

Heineken is actually quite tasty out of the can, but I totally agree that that bottles are usually pretty bad. I've had those mini-kegs before and they're good; better than the canned beer. Those kegs have been around quite a while; at least a couple of years.

Man, my palate must be shot cause I loves me some Heineken. Speaking of skunky green bottles though, Rolling Rock must have the worst case of skunk out there.

I've had a couple of those mini-kegs recently(beer pong tournie in the office) they definitely taste better than the bottled crap, but still not great... And, as for the perfect pour claim, the first 3-4 beers come out like a foamy rocket, the rest pour pretty well but when it's only 5 liters 3-4 beers is quite a bit

Evan! said:
...Urquell. Skunk city. :(

It is a shame. Buying the original Pils in America is a crap shoot because of bad bottle handling. Have you seen the new 6 pack cases? They have t cardbord covering almost all the bottle and they also sell it in cans now. I am sure this is to try to prevent skunking.

Oh, and to add to the list: Newcastle. Not much hops in there to skunk but I had bottle last week that was nasty.

Do they prime the bottles with soap, because that's what it tastes like to me. I like me a good European lager, but I have so many family members that swear by Heineken yet haven't tried any others.

Evan! said:

They bring them out on deck on the boat on their journey from Holland.

One note, in Holland, they are in brown bottles. From tap, it is total different beer over there compared to what is delivered here.

Any chance of figuring out a way to clean and refill these mini kegs with your own beer? Seems like it could be a cheap alternative to bottling if so.

Mayday99 said:
Any chance of figuring out a way to clean and refill these mini kegs with your own beer? Seems like it could be a cheap alternative to bottling if so.

Yes, yes, yes...I was at store looking at the mini-keg and had same thought, "Could I use this canister for taking my homebrew on the road?" Any success stories out there?

Mayday99 said:
Hmmm... upon further review it looks like it would be easier to just get something like this

Well, $98.75 is a big leap from about $18 for the heineken keg that I saw for sale at my local alcohol store.

EdWort said:
One note, in Holland, they are in brown bottles. From tap, it is total different beer over there compared to what is delivered here.

Truer words were never spoken.

uuurang said:
Well, $98.75 is a big leap from about $18 for the heineken keg that I saw for sale at my local alcohol store.
STOP!!! Way too much!!! Why spend all that money for empty minikegs??

There are cheaper alternatives.

Purchase the beer in the mini-kegs with the built-in tap on the bottom (pulls out). They use a bung on top that has a red plastic "key" that you turn to allow the air to enter the keg while the bottom pours the brew. These are gravity taps. They DO NOT require an additional purchase of a tap and/or cartridges.

Many brews come in these other than Heiniken. Buy a full one and reuse it.

Replacement bungs are available at HB stores.

I have about 15 of them and have been using them for years.:D

Do not overprime though as the keg will disfigure and you'll have to toss it. :mad:

homebrewer_99 said:
STOP!!! Way too much!!! Why spend all that money for empty minikegs??

There are cheaper alternatives.
Thanks for input Homebrewer:mug: . I always forget about those gravity fed mini-kegs.
Do not overprime though as the keg will disfigure and you'll have to toss it.
Am I to understand correctly Homebrewer, that you are conditioning/ageing and priming your beer IN the mini-kegs for a period of time?

Anybody, how about those Heineken mini-kegs, are they gravity fed? They appear to be some kinda pump style dispenser. Are they bigger then other mini-kegs?...

uuurang said:
Thanks for input Homebrewer:mug: . I always forget about those gravity fed mini-kegs.
Am I to understand correctly Homebrewer, that you are conditioning/ageing and priming your beer IN the mini-kegs for a period of time?
Yep!!

Prime w/1 to 2 TBS corn sugar then rack straight from the bottling bucket into the keg. Replace the bung and roll them around for a few minutes to get the sugar to dissolve. Warm condition as you would a bottle (couple of weeks) then place in the fridge.

I've also primed with only 1 TBS and NEVER placed them in the fridge until I was ready to drink them.

I've had beers aging over a year in these.

I also have the CO2 taps and a hand pump one.

These are mostly what I take on travel with me (I drive almost everywhere). Lately I've been kegging though.

uuurang: No, they have a CO2 cartridge in them. It may look bigger, but it's still only 5 liters. I've never purchased one, but I'm certain the parts just snap together.

Maybe someone (not me) should buy one, drink it up and pull it apart to see what makes it tick.

Back