Anyone insulate their pots during boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driftwood

Reaction score
Just trying to be energy efficient...

Right now I do my boils indoors on a conventional oven. Usually takes about half an hour to get the boil going after sparging, and thats with the the batch being split into two pots and boiled on two large electric elements.

I know I lose a lot of heat during my sparge because of how long that takes, and then even during the boil, the heat radiating from the pots seems like a waste too.

So I wonder if anyone has considered insulating their pots somehow, maybe wrapping in towels or something (carefully so as now to start a fire)...

Probably not a problem for all of you guys with turkey fryers, sounds like those dish out ridiculous amounts of energy, but has anyone else thought about this?

I insulate the mash tun with shipping blankets. Used to just put it in the fermentation cabinet, but I left that in California. I generally use a wind guard around my wort kettle. Nothing more than a 20" piece of aluminum flashing rolled into a cylinder. It fits over the burner stand and the kettle sits inside of it. It not only blocks the wind, it directs the heat up the sides of the kettle. Makes the handles WAY too hot though.

Back