S-04 Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently made 5 gallons of just plain apple juice fermented with S-04. I found several mentions of people asking about using this yeast for cider/apfelwein but no conclusive results, so I wanted to make a thread to actually document my outcome. It spent 5 weeks in primary, but the better bottle had developed a slow drip (fixed by keg lube) so I had to rack it. At racking I pulled a sample to measure the FG and have a taste. The first sip is tart, but that wasn't really so prominent on the second and third sips. It taste more neutral to me, like a softer dryer apple juice with just enough sweetness remaining. I love it! The first time I ever had apfelwein I was surprised by the white wine character in the taste. This doesn't have that, and I think I really like it.

OG 1.056
FG 1.008

AA 85%
6.1% ABV

Also, you have to love the flocculation of this yeast. Just had to show this off...
S-04_Cider.JPG

I really like s-04 for apfelwein/cider. I agree it has a tartness and I enjoy that. It is further accentuated if you use brown sugar in place of the dextrose. Or you can go half and half for a less tart character.

nice job. i also have enjoyed the results from s04 in cider, although mine is wicked cloudy. did you use pectic enzyme or anything else to help it? i have a feeling the 2 lbs of dark brown sugar i used may have been partially to blame for the cloudiness.

what was your juice source? I have used 2 lbs. of brown sugar and s-04 in making apfelwein (so store bought cheap apple juice) and had no clarity issues.

Perhaps if you used "real" pressed cider there might have been more clarity issues.

Looks really good

I use white labs English cider yeast in my ciders which dries it out more but I have always preferred a beer or cider yeast to a wine or champagne in my ciders, as I found it always gave it more of a wine or champagne taste. Which was not what I was accustomed too.

what was your juice source? I have used 2 lbs. of brown sugar and s-04 in making apfelwein (so store bought cheap apple juice) and had no clarity issues.

Perhaps if you used "real" pressed cider there might have been more clarity issues.

hmmm must have been the juice then. for the batch with s04 i used Motts "fresh pressed" juice which was a little darker and cloudier. next time i will use regular Motts.

For mine I used publix brand juice in the gallon jugs. I can't remember the specific name of it right now but it was just apple juice and ascorbic acid. Like I said, just those two ingredients.

Last time I used s-04 in a cider it was crystal clear with a FG of 1.002 in 10 DAYS! I couldn't believe it, but hey, whatever, S-04 for the win.

If you let the SO 4 sit, it will clear. I have some from last year (fresh pressed juice/1 1/2 lbs of brown sugar/pectin enzyme) and it is perfectly clear.
Hey wreck, did you use pectin enzyme?

If you let the SO 4 sit, it will clear. I have some from last year (fresh pressed juice/1 1/2 lbs of brown sugar/pectin enzyme) and it is perfectly clear.
Hey wreck, did you use pectin enzyme?

no i didnt. i will next time though. i left it in the primary for 5 or 6 weeks then cold crashed for a couple days. no secondary.

Ah, see I usually set it and forget it. I usually let it sit a couple of months minimum. Time my friend. Time and patience.

Two things i never mastered... I have tried both US-04 and US-05... unfortuantly the 05 is more common where i get my yeast... i pick up a package of each whenever im looking for yeast... O4 and 05 also make a good lower abv meade... some say im crazy, but i like it.

Cheers

Last time I used s-04 in a cider it was crystal clear with a FG of 1.002 in 10 DAYS! I couldn't believe it, but hey, whatever, S-04 for the win.

do you happen to remember your OG? (wa it just plain juice and the yeast?). Did you let it age or go straight to drinking it?

do you happen to remember your OG? (wa it just plain juice and the yeast?). Did you let it age or go straight to drinking it?

It was just juice and yeast, the juice was cheap-o Smart & Final Brand, so it was kinda weak, clocking in at 1.048. It's all still aging, going on 4 months old now, but I'm waiting for 6 months before I test 'er our.

how long did your guys take to start fermenting? Im at like the 18th hour and there is slight expansion through the airlock but im getting worried. I used apple juice and maybe 1.5lbs brown sugar

how long did your guys take to start fermenting? Im at like the 18th hour and there is slight expansion through the airlock but im getting worried. I used apple juice and maybe 1.5lbs brown sugar

fermentation can take up to 78 hours to start, relax, don't worry, it's probably perfectly fine.

I don't know if you're used to fermenting beer but I've found apfelwein and cider to have longer lag times in general. Don't sweat it. The list of reasons why a packet of dry yeast would not be able to ferment juice with a little sugar is very short.

I just racked a batch of 5 gl motts, s-04, lb dk brn sugar, lb lt brn sugar, and lb of honey. I sampled it and it was awesome, still a little sweet, but awesome. I then pour a second batch of 5 gl motts, s-04, 2 lb lt brn sugar, and 3 lb of honey right on top of the lees. Can wait to tast this one. It took off immediately. How long can I continue using the original yeast this way?

My S-04 took about three days or four before I saw the first bubbles. I have a cool cellar (~60 F). Some of my yeasts start in 24 hours, but with cider, and the temps I have it at, I usually find about 2-4 days lag. Wild yeast fermentation took over a week to get off the ground.

Yeah mine has now started, I regret adding sugar though since its going to take longer

This stuff is a big hit. 3 friends over tonight and they loved it. Chilled and carb'd takes the edge off of the tartness. I'm going to try the weihenstephan yeast next and I think either that or this will be my house cider.

1/9/09
3 gallons apple juice
12 ounce tree top concentrate
11.5 grams S-04
3 teaspoons yeast nutrient
1.5 teaspoon Yeast energizer
Started fermenting in 6 hours
OG 1.054
Temp 64-68F.

Took a reading yesterday because my daughter was upset the bubbles were stopping. (she is helping this time, for the first time) The SG was 1.010 so we have a while to go. Which I figured. Took a taste and for the first time I tasted apple. Not just a hint of flavor but lots of apple flavor. It has to be the yeast. I have done the same recipe with EC-1118 or K1V-1116 both were just a hint of apple or no apple at all.

I was really surprised at the flavor difference. If it is this good or better when its done and bottled I'm sticking to S-04.

I find that when the SO4 gets down to .998 you will lose some of the apple flavor. I've been cold crashing @ 1.005,leaving in the fridge and just drawing it outof the carboy. Its just like the oldtime farm cider

Back