How cool is your priming solution when you add it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
I have stopped adding sugar to bottles, and now boil the sugar and add that to the bottle bucket before siphoning. How hot do i need to let this cool to? Normally when I add it, it's still pretty warm/hot, and then i siphon the beer over it. Then do a light stir when it's all done, and let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes, then bottle.

It doesn't matter whether you dump it in boiling or you dump it in chilled. The minute the 2 cups of priming solution comes into contact with the 5 gallons of beer being racked the temps blend. Yo can do it at whatever point on the time spectrum that fits your process....for me it's about 5-10 minutes after the boil that I get to the racking stage.

Boil sugar/water mixture for 15 minutes. Dump into sanitized bottling bucket and siphon beer on top. Your will have plenty o' yeast to carbonate your bottles.

Boil sugar/water mixture for 15 minutes. Dump into sanitized bottling bucket and siphon beer on top. Your will have plenty o' yeast to carbonate your bottles.

and aim the siphon tube around the outside of your bucket, you'll get a nice whirlpool to help mix it up.

It depends on how coordinated my bottling day is. Sometimes I've got everything ready to go and the sugar is the last thing I do. In those cases it goes in directly off the heat and beer gets racked on top. Some days I start the sugar and then remember I forgot to do something and it sits and cools a little first. Hasn't ever made a difference either way.

I let it cool just enough so I don't have to worry about scalding myself.

Mine is however cool is gets from being dumped, boiling, in the bottling bucket and waiting for me to get the autosiphon going.

and aim the siphon tube around the outside of your bucket, you'll get a nice whirlpool to help mix it up.

Plus that's a great to maximize surface contact of the beer with atmospheric Oxygen, and we all know how nice Oxygen is to the beer at this stage of the process...!

(Oxydation is bad... mmmkaaay?)

I recently started pressure canning priming syrup. On bottling day I just open a jar and pour it in the bottling bucket. Sure makes bottling suck less.

Plus that's a great to maximize surface contact of the beer with atmospheric Oxygen, and we all know how nice Oxygen is to the beer at this stage of the process...!

(Oxydation is bad... mmmkaaay?)

I've been doing it this way for 12 years and have yet to get an issue with oxidation. You're not getting a whirlpool like you do at the end of the boil, in your BK, with a pump. It's however fast it's coming out of your siphon tube. Just enough to mix up the priming sugar in your beer for bottling.

You also might be disgusted to know I usually use secondaries, oh the horror...

I thought you meant "on the side of carboy" like you do to aerate the wine (without the intent to do so in this case)...

The way you're talking about is more like the way beautiful virgins bath themselves in heaven... nothing like oxidation mixing... ;-)
(lol)

Oh and I do use secondaries myself... Very often I even bottle rack directly from them. Many people say it's pointless, but I find most of the cold crashed stuff stay at the bottom even if the cane is siphoning from there too, therefore still giving a clearer beer than only primary+bucket... (that implies that I don't have to move it in any way and that I get the cane in one position without moving it afterward)...

You don't have to MIX the priming sugar, just give it a very gentle round push only at the surface not to disturb the sediments (virgins from heaven style), then let it diffuse for at least 20-30 minutes before bottling. I sanitize my bottles and decorate my Christmas bottle tree in the meantime... ;-)

Back