Question about grain crush...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_mox

Reaction score
I'm going from extract w/grains to all grain. :rockin: I'm trying to decide if I want to spend the money on a grain mill. My HB store is Midwest supplies. They usually have the best price, and great customer service (in my experience). But I've never ordered an all grain recipe from them. Can anyone tell me the quality of their crush for all grain recipes? I've always ordered my grains crush for my extract recipes, however, I know the crush is much more important for all grain!

Or is it just worth it to have the grain mill? Not against buying one, just trying to not spend the money if I dont have too, ya know?

thanks guys! :mug:

In my experience with midwest, I've ordered grain from them 15-20 times crushed, they don't crush it as well as they should. I think they do that to prevent stuck sparges but it does lower my efficiency below 70%. If you buy a grain mill then you can buy in bulk, decide your own crush, etc. I vote you buy a grain mill at some point and if you order grain from Midwest set your efficiency at 70% in your recipe calculator.

In my experience with midwest, I've ordered grain from them 15-20 times crushed, they don't crush it as well as they should. I think they do that to prevent stuck sparges but it does lower my efficiency below 70%. If you buy a grain mill then you can buy in bulk, decide your own crush, etc. I vote you buy a grain mill at some point and if you order grain from Midwest set your efficiency at 70% in your recipe calculator.

Me too. It's not bad, and it's definitely cheaper than buying your own mill, so you can use their crush until you're ready for your own mill. Just plan on 68% efficiency or so.

just had an experience this week that might relate...

I have a barley crusher mill and was just at 75% eff on my all grain batches. I went into the local homebrew store this week to get ingredients for batch. I asked them to just mix up the grains and don't crush them.

Well, the guy was on auto pilot I guess and ended up crushing them.

I hit every temp and had the proper amount in my kettle but ended up around 55% eff...

I didn't weigh the amount of grains so they may have shorted me but this experience makes me think my mill was well worth it.

OT... I was wondering if I should have run them through my mill again but didn't.

If you're going to go all grain you should purchase your own grain mill. The Barley Crusher is a good choice. If a roller mill is not affordable, a Corona Mill is a good second choice.

I have a Corona-type mill (the one labeled "Victoria" and "500" that's sold by Discount Tommy on eBay*. After a bit of fiddling, my crush enables me to hit all my numbers on any recipe I try. I'm not one of those brewers who's in search of every efficiency point I can possibly get.....I batch sparge, etc....but this mill was an improvement over what I was getting by having Midwest crush my grains.

*Tommy's prices on this mill can be all over the map, but I got mine for $24 delivered, and if you watch the item a while, you can probably do as well or maybe better. The Mill is a very crudely made piece, but it WILL do the job. People report crushes every bit as good as a roller mill, and I'm certainly happy with mine. This thread is a great help in getting the mill mounted and tweaked:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

If you're going to go all grain you should purchase your own grain mill. The Barley Crusher is a good choice. If a roller mill is not affordable, a Corona Mill is a good second choice.

I disagree. I've been doing AG for years and don't have a mill (actually I have a
Corona, but haven't bothered to put it to use).

Bad efficiency isn't a deal breaker as long as its consistent, If you know what to expect, you can add more grain to compensate.

As for brew shops, their crush does vary widely....once again I'll plug Brewmaster's Warehouse...I routinely get high 70-low 80s with their crush. I'm still mystified why people would consider buying anywhere else!

IMO, for me the primary justification in owning a mill is being able to buy grain by the sack, control and consistency of the crush has merit as well, but if you are buying a recipe at a time, a mill is a luxury, not a necesity.

Get a mill if you have the space and desire to buy grains in bulk. Personally I love having hundreds of pounds of different grains on hand for whatever recipe I decide on brewing that week. Of course, if I had a LHBS, I might keep less in stock. The closest HBS near me is in Orlando, about a 2.5hr drive, so when I go I try and buy as much as I can.

I disagree. I've been doing AG for years and don't have a mill (actually I have a
Corona, but haven't bothered to put it to use).

Bad efficiency isn't a deal breaker as long as its consistent, If you know what to expect, you can add more grain to compensate.

As for brew shops, their crush does vary widely....once again I'll plug Brewmaster's Warehouse...I routinely get high 70-low 80s with their crush. I'm still mystified why people would consider buying anywhere else!

I'm consistent at 65%, before ask my LHBS to run the grain through the mill a second time, would I be better off adding extra grain to make up for the lost efficency? If adding another pound or 2 of grain wont break the bank...

I'm consistent at 65%, before ask my LHBS to run the grain through the mill a second time, would I be better off adding extra grain to make up for the lost efficency? If adding another pound or 2 of grain wont break the bank...

The important thing is to hit your OG. If your OG is off, then the balance between malt and hops is off which means your beer is off balanced.

If you are hitting your OG with 65% efficiency then you are all set.

Efficiency calculations come into play when you are trying to follow another recipe. A recipe might be made to be at 75% efficiency, which means that at 65% efficiency you'll have to bump up the amount of malt to get the OG called for in the recipe.

Its a number that nice to know for certain circumstances, but its not something to lose sleep over (if your OG is where you want it, that is)?

Make sense?

If I wasn't concerned with my wort volume, I'm sure I'd hit the OG but since I am trying to get a preboil of 6.4 gal. I am thinking I am loosing efficency there. So I will try adding grain on my next brew....thanks.

Back