Looking for Oatmeal Stout recipe with extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dregus

Reaction score
i am looking for a recipe for a oatmeal stout that I can make with extract and grain.

I have only been able to fine all grain recipes.

Please help

The issue with doing an extract oatmeal stout is that oatmeal cannot be steeped like other many other grains it must be mashed with flaked barley or some other type of grain that can utilize its character. Another grain that you must mash is Munich.

I actually just posted yesterday about converting an AG porter that uses oatmeal in it, and I think that you will find it very informative. Take a peek. I am looking forward to brewing it this weekend.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/quick-help-needed-ag-extract-conversion-oats-95598/

Now you just need a recipe :)

As stated above, you will have to do a partial mash in order to get all the oat goodness. The good news is that it is very easy; I followed DeathBrewer's tutorial with this recipe and it turned out wonderful. If you don't want a big coffee flavor, just skip the addition in the secondary.

Oatmeal Coffee Stout

Mash:
.25lb Black Patent
.75lb Chocolate Malt 350L
1lb Two-Row
1lb Flaked Oats

7lb Light Liquid Malt Extract

1.25oz Glacier 5.8%AA @ 60
1oz Willamette 3.9%AA @ 20

When racking to secondary, add ~.5gal coffee that has steeped overnight in the fridge with .5lbs ground coffee.

Here is one that I brewed just this week.

Jake's Oatmeal Milk Stout

Grains/Extract
--------------
6 lbs Amber or Munich LME
1 lb ESB/Mild Malt
1 lb Roasted Barley
.5 lb Crystal 120L
.25 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Flaked Oats

Hops
-----
1.5 oz Styrian Goldings (3.5% Alpha) @ 60 minutes
1 oz Tettnang (4.5% Alpha) @ 45 minutes

Additions
---------
1 lb Lactose @ 10 minutes

Yeast
------
WLP002 - White Labs English Ale Yeast

I steeped the grains at 155F for 60 minutes prior to a 60 minute boil. If you want to make it a regular Oatmeal Stout, just omit the lactose.

My OG was 1.070 and expected FG is 1.020 - 1.025 so it will end up around 6% ABV. If you omit the lactose, lower the gravity readings by about .006 (at least according to Promash).

I like sweeter stouts and ales. If you don't want it quite as sweet, drop the lactose, drop the flaked oats to .5 lbs and increase the Goldings to 2 oz, or substitute with a higher alpha hops.

I LOVE milk stouts.. especially Left Hand's MMMMMM!

I will have to give this a shot sometime!

It was Left Hand's Milk Stout that inspired this one. Granted, this is an Oatmeal Milk, I think it will turn out a tad bit sweeter and smoother than Left Hand's. It's been fermenting for about 5 days now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

please do let me know how this turns out. I would love to do a milk stout but after not liking Duck Rabbit's and with nothing else to compare it to, i wonder if I wont like mine.

In stouts, some of the sweetness can also be controlled by carmelizing your DME more than you might otherwise. Just add less water and more malt at the beginning. You can also add molassis or maple syrup to add a slightly different type of sweetness. Not really traditional, but if you like it..

If you can do a partial mash recipe I'd reccomend the Uckleduckfay Oatmeal Stout recipe in The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian. I brewed a batch last month and cracked open the first bottle last night. It came out great and the book is worth owning in any event, kind of the bible of homebrewing .

This is from The brew house

Ingredients for 5 gallons:
1 Brew House Munich Dark Lager kit
12 oz. roast barley
8 oz. flaked barley
1 oz. Northern Brewer hops
Wyeast 1084 Irish ale yeast

Optional ingredients:
8 oz. quick oats
12 oz. lactose

1. Crack your roast barley and place it, with the flaked barley, in a grain bag. If you wish to make an oatmeal stout, include the quick oats.
2. Add grain bag to 2 gallons of cold water in a 3 gallon (or larger) pot. Place over medium heat. Bring temperature to 170°F and hold for 20 minutes, stirring the grain bag occasionally.
3. Remove and discard grains, add the Northern Brewer hops, and boil for 20 minutes. If you want to make a milk stout, dissolve lactose in the liquid during the last 5 minutes of the boil.
4. Remove pot from heat, cool, and use the liquid to make up the 5 gallon volume of the kit. Top up with water if necessary. Do not forget to add the pH adjustment package (package #1).
5. Pitch your yeast culture and ferment at 60–70°F.

Variations on a Theme
Russian Imperial Stout. Follow the recipe above, but instead of using water for steeping the grain and hops, use about 2 gallons of wort out of the kit. After boiling, add this liquid to the remaining wort and don't add any water. If you've done everything right, you'll wind up with about 3 gallons of wort at a starting gravity of 1.075–1.080. You can ferment with the 1084 yeast or champagne yeast (Lalvin EC-1118 Prise de Mousse is our favorite). After this, follow the Brew House instructions, but rack to a 3 gallon carboy on day 3–5. This beer should be aged for at least a month before bottling, and another two months before drinking.

I'm making a Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout following these instructions right now. Should be ready for it's first tasting by about the end of April. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back