Two batch stout with 1056 and 1762 yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchomebrew

Reaction score
I brewed up a stout recipe yesterday. Once the finished product is avail. I'll post photos and tasting notes. I did a 10 gal. batch of stout, based loosely on the Great Divide Yeti Stout. I split the batches and did half with 1056 american yeast and half with 1762 abbey ale yeast. OG came out a bit high...but that's because I think the LHBS gave me more grain than they should have ( I did the math and that's the only way...otherwise my system ran off 100% efficiency, which I doubt)...I think they gave me 17 or 18 lbs of stout malt instead of 16. Here's the details:

10 gal - 95% efficiency
OG 1.070 - came out at 1.075
I ground the roasted barley in a coffee grinder - step mash at 120 15 min, 150 for 60 min. , 153 for 15 min. - sparge 168 60 min. - 90 min. boil.

16lb Stout Malt (never used this before..so I'm excited to see what it does)
1 lb 2 row Chocolate malt
1lb Black Patent
2 lb. Crystal 120
2.5 lb, Roasted Barley
1lb White Wheat Malt
2lb Flaked Rye
Hops:
Warrior - 90m - 1oz
Chinook - 60m - 1oz
Chinook - 15m - 1oz
Cascade - 5m - 1oz.

split the batch - half with Wyeast 1056 and other half with Wyeast 1762 - wanted to see how a Belgian Stout would turn out ---not sure with these types of hops...but it will be interesting.

Hmm...95% efficiency still seems way too high. Something isn't adding up. That's also a boatload of roast malt (and crystal)!

That said, I'm curious to see the updates when they happen. I've done one stout with 1762 before, which came out very tasty. Just don't let the temps get too high on you with that yeast. 70F tops, if you can manage. It gets...weird, I find, otherwise.

Hmm...95% efficiency still seems way too high. Something isn't adding up. That's also a boatload of roast malt (and crystal)!

That said, I'm curious to see the updates when they happen. I've done one stout with 1762 before, which came out very tasty. Just don't let the temps get too high on you with that yeast. 70F tops, if you can manage. It gets...weird, I find, otherwise.

Yep. I messed around with BeerTools software and it has to be that the stout malt was not measured correctly at the LHBS. No big deal...I'm interested to see what shakes out. I'm not sure where I got the idea for 2.5 lbs of roasted barley...but I wanted to produce something roasty/espresso taste and I figure the crystal 120 ought to balance that. The hops added in this one ought to certainly mellow after some extended aging, which is the plan. This one will age for a good amount of time. So I would anticipate real tasting notes around Fall 2013 (Sept/oct ? maybe earlier ....I'm sure I'll try a few this summer)

Bottled these this past Sunday. Both had pretty much same fg reading at 1.021. Interestingly the American yeast batch was more bitter and roasty. The Belgian on was very smooth and more of a dark chocolate taste. Will be interesting to see where these end up after bottle conditioning till sept. or oct.

Well, I couldn't resist. I had to try one of them. I cracked open the Abbey 1762 version (I'll try the American yeast version tomorrow and post details). It's definitely carbonating (I bottle primed) but probably still needs another month. I stored it at about 65F since 5/5/13 and my plan is to let it condition and carbonate slowly. Off the bat I can tell you it's a great beer and it's going to get even better with time. Like the Wyeast website says, it certainly is a "clean profile" for a Belgian yeast. Pours dark black and forms a dark tan effervescent head. Not much lacing and head disappears pretty quick (I suspect that will change over time). Aroma is roasty, I can really pick up booze on the nose, light hints of plum/cherry and bitter chocolate and getting a faint nose of vanilla. Taste is roasty up front and gives way to a very faint cherry fruit flavor and mild alcohol, then finishes bitter (picking up the warrior hops on the finish) . Not getting much from the Chinook hops on this tasting. Body is medium and pretty even keel , dare I say drinkable for this high an ABV (not as thick as I thought this might be). I'm very pleased with this one. I mentioned this was inspired by Yeti Stout series. Can't say it's completely similar by any stretch, but it does have some comparable notes to the Belgian Yeti . Here's the thing. I know I loaded this beer with a lot of roasted barley and I feared it would be overpowering....but it's not at all. I've had plenty of commercial stouts out there that are far more roasty and bitter than this one. Anyway, I'll hold to post a photo of this until it's fully conditioned and carbed. Looking forward to trying the American version tomorrow.

Poured the American version. Not quite carbed yet. Man what a difference from the Belgian batch. Much thicker in body and more coffee roast with pine in the background. Really a true American boozey tasting stout. Some smokey flavors also. Will be interesting once this carbs up. Will post again in a few months.

I know I loaded this beer with a lot of roasted barley and I feared it would be overpowering....but it's not at all

If you plan your recipe right, you can really load up on the roast malt without making the beer harsh. Seems like you've found a good balance here.

My usual RIS, which I'm constantly tweaking, uses roughly 2lbs of black patent malt, yet is very smooth. I just bottled my last incarnation of this 5 weeks back, and have already sampled 3 bottles, so I know what this is like. It's going to be tough to let it sit until winter!

Well, I've failed to post tasting notes now that the American and Belgian versions of this beer are drinkable. Infact, I entered the American version in the KC Irish Fest stout competition and ended up winning the competition. http://www.kcirishfest.com/at_the_festival/contest Really surprising to get that announcement. I'll post some photos and tasting notes when I have a chance to pour one.

Well another accolade for this recipe came in. I entered the Belgian stout version in a competition and it got 3rd in the Belgian specialty category.

I'm glad I came across your post. I was planning on doing 6 gallons of a Brown Ale and I'm going to ferment 2 small batches using the Wyeast 1762 and Safale 04. Sounds like the 1762 will work nicely for me.

Have you blended the two back together and see what the results are like?

I'm glad I came across your post. I was planning on doing 6 gallons of a Brown Ale and I'm going to ferment 2 small batches using the Wyeast 1762 and Safale 04. Sounds like the 1762 will work nicely for me.

Have you blended the two back together and see what the results are like?

I have not blended the two together. Keep in mind that I fermented 1762 in the low 60s (62F) and let it sit in the primary for about a month. I bottled (didn't keg) the batch and let the bottles condition for at least 3 mo. before even trying. I think this would be a much different Belgian Stout if it had been fermented at a warmer temp (upper 60s/low 70s). With that in mind, I think you'll get an interesting product out of it with a brown ale batch.

Well, I've failed to post tasting notes now that the American and Belgian versions of this beer are drinkable. Infact, I entered the American version in the KC Irish Fest stout competition and ended up winning the competition. http://www.kcirishfest.com/at_the_festival/contest Really surprising to get that announcement. I'll post some photos and tasting notes when I have a chance to pour one.

Congrats! I once brewed a big stout with wlp545 and it was a definitely a hit with my friends.

Back