Lager (Dunkel) not drying out-seems stalled at 1.020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpe290

Reaction score
Have a dunkel going, pitched 48 with plenty of yeast (equivalent of 9L starter stepped up) with WLP833.

100% light munich with 4 oz carafa II (huskless)

ETA: OG was 1.052

Mash:
133 for 20 mins
152 for 45 mins
thin decoction to 168 mashout

Anyway, fermentation took off fairly quick and really ripped for being a lager. Kept perfect temp controlled at 50 for a week (little airlock activity) and I slowly increased (let it free-rise with ambient 66) to 60 for d rest and hoping to ensure as many fermentables as possible get eaten up before lagering.

Well, checked the reading after 3 days of that and was at 1.020, worried that its not going to do much more...I would think I want it more about 1.012-1.014...what kind of options sound like a winner here?

I was thinking maybe adding .5 lb of corn sugar (boiled and cooled obviously) might be a good way to dry it out just a little? Enzymes seem to be a bit much for that little of a change.
Maybe a different yeast pitched in?
Steal some of the beer in there now and build up the yeast to krausen it?

Any ideas for just a little bit of SG drop would be great...I still plan on letting this go another week and checking to see if it dropped more before I do this, but thought I would get the thinking started now...

Thanks!

Who's munich are using? There is no universal standard for "light" munich - Weyermann munich is in the 5L range and works at 100% of the grist, Gambrinus light munich is >10L and shouldn't go higher than 50% of the grist.

I've never had any success in drying a beer out and still had a decent beer. A dunkel might be a decent candidate to sour. If krausening doesn't work, I'd give up on it being a dunkel and pitch some roeselare blend or sour dregs and see what happens.

Who's munich are using? There is no universal standard for "light" munich - Weyermann munich is in the 5L range and works at 100% of the grist, Gambrinus light munich is >10L and shouldn't go higher than 50% of the grist.

I've never had any success in drying a beer out and still had a decent beer. A dunkel might be a decent candidate to sour. If krausening doesn't work, I'd give up on it being a dunkel and pitch some roeselare blend or sour dregs and see what happens.

Just checked, its Gambrinus 10.

ETA: Any blending ideas? I have 10 lbs of German Pilsner malt, maybe make something similar hop addition wise but with low mash pilsner o get really dry and same yeast then blend 50/50?

May not want to throw too much good after bad though...

We've all made that mistake:) I blame brewing classic styles for not discussing malting differences and malt substitutions. There should be a big red warning in that book on any of the recipes that include munich, chocolate or roast barley.

You might not get much more attenuation using gambrinus munich at that high a percentage but it might still be drinkable at 1.020. Keg it up and see.

and I agree with not wanting to throw good at bad, if its only a 5gal batch just brew again. You could try blending a few litres and see what its like but don't mess up a second batch trying to fix the first. I would definitely try souring at least a few litres. A chewy dunkel might bug out to a decent flanders brown.

I've liked the dunkels I've made with 50% gambrinus light munich, 50% pilsner or 70%pilsner, 30% gambrinus dark munich better than the one time I did 100% weyermann light munich...maybe it was the ferment, but i just found the gambrinus stuff maltier.

OK, thinking about the sour aspect, as I am well stocked at the moment and could send this to the side for a year in a carboy...what do you think, go with only a Brettanomyces yeast or pitch the Roeselare blend with some bacteria in it and leave it alone for a while?

Back