Need Help Selecting a Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newgene

Reaction score
I need the experts to chime in on this one. For Christmas, the wife is getting me the fermenter I've been talking about for way too long. I'm not looking to spend a ton, but I don't want to cheap out and wish I had picked certain options that I may need. I decided to get the Stout Tank fermenter from the following:

http://conical-fermenter.com/products/conicals/

I've read a bunch over the past year or so, and I'm sort of a blur after reading the posts. I'd love to hear any comments about any part of it, but I had a few questions to start off:

1.) Anyone have any issues with this brand that would justify me paying for a Morebeer, etc.?
2.) Looking at the Stout models, it looks like they have a 12.5 gallon. I assumed the 14.5 is the best way to go, but am I missing a reason other than storage space in a specific sized freezer? I don't even have the freezer for this yet. Anyone recommend the 12.5?
3.) I am picking the 14.5 Gal. Conical Fermenter With 3" TC Port in Lid, Racking Arm, and Thermometer for $589. Any reason not to get this one?
4.) Any need for the butterfly valves over the ball valves? I'm assuming they both need to be pulled to clean anyway. Am I missing something?
5.) Any reason to get a "short" fermenter? Again, I don't really have the freezer picked yet, but I was wondering if this should be the norm and not the exception. I'm assuming the standard height is fine.
6.) Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!

What about the brewhemouth slightly higher priced but its larger and there are some cool options like the chilling coil

I have heard that the single bar across the top makes it tough to get a good seal on the fermenter. I would be very concerned about the general mechanics of the design.

I have heard that the single bar across the top makes it tough to get a good seal on the fermenter. I would be very concerned about the general mechanics of the design.

I have the original morebeer fermenter which is a similar design with a single bar across the top and I've never had an issue getting a good seal. However I did cut a disc out of plywood to fit over the lid. Like I said, I never had trouble getting a seal but I was afraid the lid might deform over time if all the pressure was right in the middle.

Got a stout mashtun. Nice welds. But for QC on minor details, I am 94 % happy. But then again, it is Chinese made at a high price.

Edit: based on everything should be flawless. Which in real life is not possible. So 94 percent on minor stuff is pretty good all things considered.

Back