• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

2 New NEVER USED Spunding Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallasdb

Reaction score
I have two spunding valves that are brand new, never used.

Asking $20 each with NEW pin lock and ball lock fittings, just let me know which you need.

I need to recoup some $$$ from a recent purchase that SWMBO isn't happy with :(

Here is a pic from the HBT wiki, actual pics coming soon.

Here is the article about spunding https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Spunding

spunding.jpg

Ah OK the price is up there now. Now the question is, do these have just an open/close valve on them or a valve that would let me set it for a specific pressure and it will auto vent any pressure over that.

I've been considering doing this for lagers in the future . .

This is my 666th post... that can't be good!

ForumRunner_20120821_144338.jpg

ForumRunner_20120821_144350.jpg

FYI you don't need the attached barbs in this picture for the spunding valve.
ForumRunner_20120821_144411.jpg

Ah OK the price is up there now. Now the question is, do these have just an open/close valve on them or a valve that would let me set it for a specific pressure and it will auto vent any pressure over that.

seems to me like you manually bleed of pressure these are not the auto-bleed ones

These are the ones you manually bleed. Even with the ones that have the pressure piece, I read they have to be monitored and bled just as much because you have to keep tweaking it. I never actually used them so I couldn't tell you.

The wiki, that inspired me to buy these, sounded super simple to dial in.

Make me an offer, need the cash! Thanks

Ill give you $20 shipped for 1. Seems low but I could get the same thing for $25 from midwest supplies.... actually let me think about it as I would be converting it to an auto mode

dallasdb said:
These are the ones you manually bleed. Even with the ones that have the pressure piece, I read they have to be monitored and bled just as much because you have to keep tweaking it. I never actually used them so I couldn't tell you.

Not true - the adjustable relief valves will hold a constant pressure when adjusted properly.

I use them exclusively.

Not true - the adjustable relief valves will hold a constant pressure when adjusted properly.

I use them exclusively.

Gotcha! I was confused when I read this article.

http://byo.com/stories/projects-and-equipment/article/indices/20-build-it-yourself/400-build-your-own-spunding-valve-to-carbonate-in-the-keg

"To calibrate the adjustable pressure relief valve, you only need to monitor the pressure gauge. When it slightly exceeds your desired carbonation pressure (I generally shoot for 14 PSI) turn the top adjuster counter clockwise until pressure just starts to bleed off. Watch the gauge and when 14 PSI is indicated turn the adjuster back in (clockwise) until the pressure stops escaping.

After 4 or 5 days, turn the relief valve adjuster back in (clockwise) 1/2 turn and monitor the gauge for another day. If the pressure does not increase, you know that all secondary fermentation has ceased and the proper carbonation level has been retained.

An added bonus is that you need not transfer your beer again. It is well carbonated and ready to chill. Your secondary fermenter also doubles as your serving tank. Cheers!"

I thought the article was describing calibrating the keg pressure each time. I didn't know you could set it and forget it!

I looked up the valve, it ain't cheap! $16.82

http://www.drillspot.com/products/47211/Control_Devices_CR25-100_Variable_Pressure_Relief_Valve

Ill give you $20 shipped for 1. Seems low but I could get the same thing for $25 from midwest supplies.... actually let me think about it as I would be converting it to an auto mode

I looked all over for a price before I listed this but I looked for "spunding valve" not for "Bleeder valve."

I've had them for awhile and never used them, couldn't remember exactly how much they cost me.

Price has been updated $20 ea

I bought one like you have for $25.99

Check homebrew.org for an exact price - they are my LHBS.

You could remove the on/ off and attach a relief valve if your handy. Just saying. Cost might be a wash vs. new. I built my own and love them.

Retrofit said:
You could remove the on/ off and attach a relief valve if your handy. Just saying. Cost might be a wash vs. new. I built my own and love them.

Have you ever noticed a flavor difference between naturally carbed and CO2 carbed?

Back