Does anyone know what a store/pub might pay for a bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
Does anyone know what a store or pub might pay for a 12oz bottle of beer? I know this will vary depending on the store or the beer, but any general idea will help. Let's say the store re-sells this bottle for $5. Also, I'm in California if that helps. Just really curious.

Cheers!

Like you want to sell a bottle of your home brew to be re-sold? That aint gonna work out for you. This be a nation of laws. That be against them.

http://***********/blogs/the-price-is-right-.html

Funny you ask, just read this today :)

I'm pretty sure they would buy it by the case, not a single bottle...??
And hopefully you are not talking about selling your home brew......

Perhaps trying to figure out the markup? Probably less than you think, but I really don't know for sure. I was always under the impression that there wasn't much profit per unit.

I spoke with a professional brewer friend about this and on average the final price the consumer pays at a store is roughly 2.5 times cost, in a bar, on tap it could be as much as 3-5 times cost for a pint.

It really depends on the distributor, distance traveled(shipping) and the general locations market, as well as taxes and then the retailer and the going rate in its location.

In Chicago we ultimately pay a lot, I have found the same beer in different locations for a lot less than I can pay here.

At Sam's Club I recently bought New Glarus's Speckled Heifer for $1.03 per 12 oz. bottle. At my favorite bar it is considerd a premium beer. They sell it for $3.75 a bottle. That was about 6 months ago when someone bought one to compare to my Spotted Cow. Six of six tasters said my Spotted Cow was better tasting.

Whoops. New Glarus is Spotted Cow. Mine was NB's Speckled Heifer. I guess that's what happens when you have a good beer on your mind and two inside.

I used to work at a restaurant like 25 years ago and did some of the receiving so saw the prices. Basically they pay retail price and don't get sale prices like a consumer could or wholesale pricing like retail stores would. So for instance they paid about 6 dollars for a 6 pack of Heiniken even though they were buying like 20 cases of beer at a time with deliveries a couple times a week. They sold it for about 3 dollars a bottle so still decent profit, but in Florida anyway there was no sale prices and they were required to buy from the distributor only.

Edit: I just noticed your questions said what a store or pub would pay. Like stated above, they would be two vastly different prices for the store vs the pub at least in Florida where I lived back then. Stores would get wholesale pricing with incentives based on how much they bought and how quickly they paid their bill, etc while restaurants paid retail period.

http://***********/blogs/the-price-is-right-.html

Funny you ask, just read this today :)

That article I think explains it best.

I have no idea exactly how big the mark up is in actuality but even if the bar is paying full retail prices its fairly substantial (but then again, this is a business, not a charity).

Hypothetically speaking, if you figure a six pack at a price of $7.99 which equals $1.33 per beer.
If a bar sells said beer for $5 the markup would be around 275% giving them a gross margin of 73% but thats only $3.67 profit and they've gotta pay rent, utilities, the server that brought it to you, yada, yada, yada.

Back