German Pils Carve that Whale Bone Matey! (NCB Scrimshaw clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redneck82

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Neutral Lager (WLP 800 -Pilsner Lager White Labs used)
Yeast Starter
3 qt with 1/2 cup light DME
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
2 qt krausen with WLP-800, 1.041 s.g.
Batch Size (Gallons)
7gal (ferment) 5 gal final
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
1.011 (est.)
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5-6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Pitch @ 68F, once ferm. starts, then 48F for 4 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
33F 8 weeks
Tasting Notes
Mmmm...Bread crust
Howdy Y'all! Just joined, but I've been using this forum since I started brewing 2 years ago. Between this forum and Noonan's "New Brewing Lager Beer' I (hopefully) have come a long way in that time.

Anyway, thought I'd post my version of North Coast Brewery's Srimshaw Pilsner. I couldn't find one that came out quite right, so I decided to write my own. This is a pretty intensive batch, but those of you who are familiar with decoction mashing should enjoy this one!

Grain Bill:
7 lb German Pilsner Malt
3 lb German Munich Malt (10L)

Hopps:
4 Oz. Hellertau Whole @3.4 AAU
*note-Actual uses Tettenanger and Hellertau; but HB shop was out. If available, 50/50 mix of tett/hellertau and follow same hopp schedule.

Mash- Enhanced Double Decoction Mash
1)Infuse grain with 17qts of water at 100F. Let PH drop to 5.2. After 45 min, if not there, adjust with lactic acid or CaCO3 as necissary.

2)Pull a thick decoction (mostly grain) of approximately 3.6 gal out of mash tun, and slowly heat to 122F. Hold for 20 min.

3) Heat Decoction to 155F and hold/rest for 45 minutes (or until limited reaction to iodine test, complete isn't necissary as grain will be re-mashed)

4) Bring decoction to 170F for 10 min, then to boil for 20min.

5) Slowly (one scoop at a time...) add approximately 14 qts of decoction (roughly half) back to mash tun. Continue boiling rest of decoction, adding water to maintain volume of about 12 qts. Target temp is 133F, hold there for 40 min.

6) Slowly add rest of decoction to mash. This should raise temp to approximately 150-152F. Hold until starch conversion complete (approx 1.5hr)

7) Once close to conversion, pull a thin decoction of 13qts (mostly liquid) and bring to boil. Once conversion complete in mash tun, add this volume to mash to mash out (168F).

8) Sparge as usual, collect and begin boil.

Hopp Schedule: Target 22 IBU
1 oz -90 min (bitter)
1 oz - 30 min (Aroma/Bitter)
1 oz - 10 min (Aroma)
1 oz - 1 min (Aroma)

Original Gravity should be approximately 1.055-1.060 end of boil. Adjust with pre-boiled/dechlorinated water to approximately 1.045-1.050 O.G.

Pitch 3qt yeast starter @68F. Once fermentation starts, slowly bring ferment temp down to 48F, no more than 2 degrees F per day change. (primary approx 3 -4 wks)

Once gravity reads 1.025, raise temp to 55F-57F and hold for one day (Diacetyl rest), raising no more than 2 deg per day.

Rack to secondary and add krausen (2 qt) when s.g. is approximately 1.015-1.020. Lager at 29F-33F for 8 weeks.

Haven't seen too many Pils recipes with decoction mash, but trust me...the clarity and taste are something to at least experiment with.

CHEERS!

Still haven't seen a good clone recipe yet. Anyway, came off close. These are the the latest:

Grain:
8 lb German Pils Malt
1.5 lb Munich
0.5 lb CaraPils

1 lb acid malt (separate)

1oz Tettnanger 60 min
1oz Tett/1oz Hallertau 30 min
1 oz Hall. 15 min
1 oz Hall flame out.

Mash- Tripple Decoction, 1.7qt/lb.
Dough in at 68 F, this will dissolve more of the enzymes.

Rest temps at 95 (acid rest). German pils malt and Munich are pretty diastatically weak. Mashing at the correct PH (5.4-5.2) is critical; correct as needed with acid malt. Make sure your brew water is not calcium deficient as well.

122F - 30 min
140- 45 min for fermentables
158 - until converted (for mouthfeel/body)
167 mash out.

First one was close, just a little heavy on the Munich. There should be slightly more bitter hops, and a combination of Hall/Tett hops.

I believe Scrimshaw is either decocted, or uses a recirculating mash. Don't have any quantitative evidence, just qualitative.

Water profile is probably closer to Munich than Pilzn(more carbonates).

Anyway, hope this helps someone!

I just want you to know that I've been reading this! I love Scrimshaw and would love to brew a decent clone, but I can't decoct so I can only brew this in my head.

Have you done a side-by-side tasting yet?

Yes. The first version was a little heavy on the Munich, and too light on bittering hop addition. I would even suggest German Perle for bittering and using Tett/Hall for aroma/flavor. This is one of my favorite beers, and will be tweaking this recipe until it's good. Going to be moving cross country in near future and won't be able to get it as readily, so I'd better hurry up and learn to brew my own!

I'll admit I'm a fan of decoction mashing, but there is no reason why a single/double infusion wouldn't work. If done correctly the only difference would be the yield, and slightly less melanoidan production (bread-crust flavor). Just make sure you do a protein rest, and then mash at the higher end(scrimshaw is pretty malty!)

For infusion, I would rest between 122-130F, then do a sacc rest at 153-155F.

Thanks for reading! If you brew this, please give feedback!

Back