Possible Mead Infection (with video)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retty

Reaction score
Hello,

I made a mead that appears to have something growing at the top of the carboy, and I wanted some advice as to what you guys suppose it is.

I've posted a video of it here:

Sorry if the video is a little shaky. Things to note from it:
-shook carboy as the white stuff near top seems to settle at top and is less visible.
-there are streaks which I thought are yeast along the side.
-the white stuff almost looks stringy.
-can be switched to 720p for higher quality.

Recipe (1 gallon):
.75 gallons water
5.7 pounds wildflower honey (guesstimated amount)
48 fl. oz. Pom pomegranate juice
nutrient and energizer per regular guidelines
1 packet cotes de blanc

S.G. 1.14

All equipment was sanitized. No cooking took place (juice was unopened, juice was 'flash' pasteurized which may be an issue).

I'm a little disappointed because I tasted this thing a week and a half in at (reached 16% alc at 1.02 SG), and it was without a doubt one of the best things I've ever had, no burn with great acid/sugar balance! after that I moved it to sanitized carboy with potassium sorbate and a campden tablet.

Additional info: I did a sniff test and noticed nothing

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if you have any questions please let me know!

Thank You!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help, I was getting very scared about that one. I guess maybe I'll turkey baste the top out when I re-rack next month. Haven't taste tested, but a dab might not hurt.

I appreciate the input!

Thanks for the help, I was getting very scared about that one. I guess maybe I'll turkey baste the top out when I re-rack next month. Haven't taste tested, but a dab might not hurt.

I appreciate the input!
Wouldn't waste it like that. I'd just hit it with finings, then once clear, filter with 1 micron element to start, possbily down to 1/2 micron for a second filter.

regards

fatbloke

My raspberry one has similar looking floaties. I was just going to go with the finings aproach, I don't have a filter.

My raspberry one has similar looking floaties. I was just going to go with the finings aproach, I don't have a filter.
Harris type gravity filters are cheap enough and you can get the various grades of filter card/paper to go in them.

Excellent even if just used to give the brew it's final polish prior to bottling.

Of course, a powered/pumped one is better/quicker/less hassle etc if you can beg/borrow/steal one......

regards

fatbloke

Latest posts

Back