American Pale Ale Fdbh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobly99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
delicious!
12.5 lbs - 2 row
.5 lbs - Crystal 10
.5 lbs - Honey Malt

.25 oz - Willamette FWH
1.00 oz - Willamette 60 min
.25 oz - Willamette 5 min
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

.50 oz - Willamette dry hop @ transfer to secondary at 5 days for 7 days
:mug:

Last edited:
This was so good and I just polished off the last bomber of it last night sharing at the LHBS. Very well received there.

I'm brewing up another batch today. I am upping the honey malt to .75 lbs this time and I may up the FWH and 5 min addition to .5 oz each.

Well, I think that it was a bit too malty / sweet / not balanced.

I have worked on this recipe a bit over the months and the latest incarnation won a 1st place ribbon at Mundelein's American Cup 2011.

My current recipe is below (it is a little lower OG of 1.061 but you could up the base malt a pound or two if you want):

9.50 lbs Two Row
0.50 lbs Flaked Barley
0.50 lbs Crystal 10
0.50 lbs Honey Malt
3 oz Biscuit

.5 oz Magnum @60
1 oz Willamette @ 10 min

Being that you're pitching either 1056 or safeale 05, yes, 65 would be rather perfect. When using a clean, neutral yeast like 1056, I always opt for its dry equivalent both for money and speed.

On a different note, I really like the addition of biscuit, just to give it a touch of toastiness. This is definitely my next brew.

Just brewed your updated recipe, was a little low on gravity (1.054)... But I think I ended up with around 5.5 -6 gallons. Upped the 2 row to 10#, added 3 oz pure honey, and added .5# of corn sugar. Also added 7 grams of fresh rosemary @ 15 & 5 min (3.5 + 3.5 grams). Will update how it comes out! Used WLP 001 aslo...

Just brewed your updated recipe, was a little low on gravity (1.054)... But I think I ended up with around 5.5 -6 gallons. Upped the 2 row to 10#, added 3 oz pure honey, and added .5# of corn sugar. Also added 7 grams of fresh rosemary @ 15 & 5 min (3.5 + 3.5 grams). Will update how it comes out! Used WLP 001 aslo...

How did this turn out for you? Never tried rosemary in a beer, curious to hear how it was.

does anyone think it would be too much for this style to up to .5 lbs of biscuit?

like as follows:

9.50 lbs Two Row
0.50 lbs Flaked Barley
0.50 lbs Crystal 10
0.50 lbs Honey Malt
0.50 lbs Biscuit I can lower this to the 3 OZ, just looking for some feedback on how this might be upped a bit.

and then it looks like the consensus on the hopping schedule was

.5 oz Magnum @60 (I may just FWH this addition)
1 oz Willamette @ 10 min

US-05 at 65 for forever right?

Looking to brew this week, so curious on some feedback here.

does anyone think it would be too much for this style to up to .5 lbs of biscuit?

Not at all. I usually add at least 0.5 lbs of Victory or 1+ lbs of Munich to my light hybrid ales - this much biscuit would have a similar contribution. I like the toasty note it adds to easy drinking beers like these.

Picked up ingredients today, home brew guru said he wouldn't recommend to go over 1\2 of honey because it starts to lend a sour taste, so gonna do 1/2 lb of everything amd see how it turns out, brewing on wednesday. And holy smokes honey malt smells amazing!!

Just cracked open my forst bottle of this and it came out great!

Nice, well rounded brew. I mashed at 152 and the rest of my numbers were spot on, i think this one finished at like 1.006 -.008 in that range, i could drink this all night.

Edit
Also, i did the updated version.

Another edit
Im going to brew this again very soon. Its good cold, but 5-10 mins in the glass and its freakin delish. I split the batch with a buddy so i only have 20 or so bottles of this. Im going to try it with dennys fav 50 1450 and do a side by side. Ill update this thread with the results.

brewed a few months ago and boy am I enjoying this! creamy and smooth, sweet but not too much; a touch of nice hops.

IMG_3057.jpg

Latest posts

Back