Apple beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
Ok so me and my wife went to a local pub. She fell in love with an apple beer. However it tasted a little like wine or hard cider? Any ideas to what it was. I asked the waitress but she seemed a lil clueless

Probably Hard Apple Cider, which is just fermented Apple Cider (no other additions). I made some last fall...interesting but not really my cup of tea.

Maybe original sin it's a cider that looks almost like water tastes a lot like reisling

If it was beer, they may have directly added apples, or used apple juice, which seems to be more common.

I make an apple wheat that I add sliced apples to directly. If you are interested, I can post the recipe.

Look up the EdWort apfelwein thread... back sweeten with 1 lb of lactose and leave out sugar... (used 1/2 lb last time) used us-05. left lots of apple flavor had on draft and it didn't last long! mowed over some flowers after a few! all good! not quite as heavy abv as edworts

Airborneguy said:
If it was beer, they may have directly added apples, or used apple juice, which seems to be more common.

I make an apple wheat that I add sliced apples to directly. If you are interested, I can post the recipe.

I wouldn't mind seeing this as I make an apple cider beer I'd love to check it out

hey airborneguy! post up a recipe for the slice appled wheat. never had good luck with apples. bananna & clove still dominate through, but still want that flavor. been looking for a fruit cocktail wheat for ages! jest cant get the right blend tried apple, pineapple, kiwi, strawberry & peach. Peach came closest.

New Glarus makes an Apple Ale that tastes just like a apple wine/cider but is definitely ale. Not sure if this really helps, but maybe gives you another searching point.

I plan on brewing up an AG apple ale that I will use some Tree Top apple juice for the 1st runnings and some tart apples (Not sure yet what variety or quantity I will use) in secondary. I also plan to toast some apple wood chips and age the ale on them. This should lend me an ale that has some apple at all stages but does not overpower into wine flavors. This is all still in the planning stages but I will post up the recipe once it is finalized, if it turns out.

Would definitely be interested in seeing your results Zamial. I'm assuming you won't use any malt besides base and apples?

Recently made a sour apple beer, based on one Cascade Barrel House put out recently, and have to say it works.
Combination of sour/Berliner Weisse with Granny Smith apples, and a little cinnamon works realy well.
Just a data point for you to consider...

I agree, airborneguy, please post your recipe. I'm planning an apple wheat next month, once Michigan apples are in season, and would love to work from a proven recipe.

For your Berliner Apple, did how did you prepare the apples and how much did you use. Also, at what point did you toss them in... been working on a recipe for this, only part haven't figured out is apples. Thanks!

Back