Volumes of CO2 Calculator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
There seem to be tons of computer & phone apps for basic brewing calculations, timers ect. but I can't seem to find one that will do Volumes of CO2. I would basically like to know that if I put a certain PSI on a keg with room temp beer and unplug it & cool it, what would the Vol of CO2 be? Just curious if there's something out there I've missed...

I'm no pro but I did do a little experiment to find out what pressure to supply to a chilled keg because I use a flash chiller (heat exchanger) to serve room temp kegs to a nice 36°... I supply my kegs normally at 24psi and I wanted to take a keg to a friends party and serve it with just a party tap but wanted cold beer so 2 days before I put it in the fridge. I took it out and hooked up a gas ball valve connect to a gauge and the pressure had dropped to about 7psi so I supplied it with 6psi and had no problems.. That was real life and not a calculator. It was close to the calculator tho.. I always shoot for about 2-3 volumes in most my beers no matter the recipe

Here's a pretty detailed and easy to use chart (not a calculator, per se, but almost as good):

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Most brewing software should have a calculator in them. Beersmith (what I use) does.

EDIT: Just saw what you were really trying to figure out (not sure if that chart will help or not). Are you talking about fully carbonating at room temperature then disconnecting the gas and cooling it for storage? If so, I would think that as long as you have the correct PSI on the beer for the temperature at which you are carbing it once the liquid has taken up all the CO2 it can at that pressure and you remove the gas that's all it will hold, regardless of temperature changes.

For example: You want to carb to 2.3 volumes. Beer temp will be a constant 65F (close to room temp). You'll need about 24PSI on it. Once it reaches full carbonation (2.3 volumes) in about a week or two you disconnect the gas and toss the keg into a 40F fridge. As long as the gas is not connected your 2.3 volumes should hold steady (assuming you don't have a leaky keg). Once you put the gas back on it's a different story unless you adjust the pressure to your 40F temp to maintain 2.3 volume (10 PSI).

That's my understanding of this keg carbonation thing. I'm no physicist so I could be overlooking a major piece of the puzzle here. I'm pretty confident in what I said though since carbonation levels on beer shipped around the country from any given brewery does not experience carbonation changes. And they are usually subjected to a lot of temperature changes.

Of course, if I have no undestanding of what you really want to know and am telling you a bunch of crap you already know just ignore me.

I guess what I'm wanting to do is rack my beer to the keg @ room temp or any given temp, give it one shot of CO2 at the correct PSI, unhook it from the gas and put it in the fridge. Anyone?

Stumped me there.. Wonder how to figure that one out since there is CO2 present in solution before charging to a high psi and waiting for it to equalize.

Yeah, that's a new one to me as well. I'm sure there's some formula out there somewhere. My guess is you would probably need a pressure that a corny keg might not be able to withstand.

Maybe if we knew how much CO2 is actually used to carbonate 5 gallons of beer we might be able calculate the one-time PSI needed.

I don't think you'll find a calculator that does that for you. Actually, I don't think it would ever get properly carbed to be quite honest as I don't think the vessel would be able to handle the amount of CO2 you'd actually need to accomplish it and finding equilibrium doing that would be quite difficult.

If you want to PM me your email address I'll send you my Brew Chart which has a kegging calculator which should address your kegging/PSI calculation needs. The Brew Chart in my signature below does not have it. I'll be releasing a new one soon that I'm working on, but would be willing to send you an unfinished version which has the kegging calculator finished ahead of time to help you out if you'd like.

cp

Back