Last Call- Any interest in a UP brewday?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm heading home in a few minutes. I'll go check the inventory. Let's do 15 gallons of that recipe, minus the Golden Naked Oats of course.

If we do two 7.5 gallon mashes, and combine, we can go with the original recipe just times three. I'll bring out the brewing sheets (I don't have Beersmith on the laptop). Or, can you put Beersmith on two computers? If so, I can download Beersmith to this laptop and we can do it at the cottage.

Lschiavo, Ron called and woke me up this morning. He said that your dad told him that you're out of beer! Not true, is it? :drunk:

Sounds like a plan. I just emailed you a scaled version of the original. Look it over and make any adjustments you feel necessary.

Are you sure you were awake? That sounds like a nightmare to me! I still have 20+ gallons.

What should I bring? I have Ed's Pale and the DFH60 IPA. The IPA is a little different...I ran out of Amarillo and had to use mostly Simcoe for dry hop so it will be a little different than yours.

Sounds like a plan. I just emailed you a scaled version of the original. Look it over and make any adjustments you feel necessary.

Are you sure you were awake? That sounds like a nightmare to me! I still have 20+ gallons.

What should I bring? I have Ed's Pale and the DFH60 IPA. The IPA is a little different...I ran out of Amarillo and had to use mostly Simcoe for dry hop so it will be a little different than yours.

Oh, you know me! Bring the IPA! I have an IPA and an APA available. I might bring the APA, since it's Bob's favorite.

I'll check over the recipe. I looked at my version (two 7.5 gallon recipes) and it looks like we need 6 ounces of cascade and 6 ounces of centennial, and 3 ounces of magnum.

Xiang, can you bring the cascade and centennial hops? I'm low on centennial, but I have plenty of magnum. I do have some cascades, if you don't have any.

Well, I just took a whiff of my yeast starter, from a washed yeast.

It was my last saved bit of Denny's favorite. It's sour and not good smelling. :mad:

Does anybody mind using dry yeast? Or anybody have a yeast for themselves? I have a couple of packages of S05, and a couple of S04, and several of Nottingham. No liquid yeast anymore, except for pacman that would need a starter.

Any ideas?

Lets do 15 gallons. I think it may actually be easier. We can split the mash and boil in your 20gal kettle. I am planning to bring my Therminator/pump for chilling. What kind of outlet do you have on your kettle? I'm set up with 1/2-in hose barbs to connect the pump. If you have something different we may have to adapt.

I have an 1/2-in hose barb on the ball valve.

Well, I just took a whiff of my yeast starter, from a washed yeast.

It was my last saved bit of Denny's favorite. It's sour and not good smelling. :mad:

Does anybody mind using dry yeast? Or anybody have a yeast for themselves? I have a couple of packages of S05, and a couple of S04, and several of Nottingham. No liquid yeast anymore, except for pacman that would need a starter.

Any ideas?

Dry yeast is fine. I have one pack of s-05, several of s-04's and Nottingham.

Dry yeast is fine. I have one pack of s-05, several of s-04's and Nottingham.

ok, bring whatever yeast you want to use for your 5 gallons. I have the rest here at the cottage in the fridge.

What about hops? I can buy some tomorrow (centennial) if we need them.

We're in Escanaba. Set up the tents and had dinner at H&H Brewpub. Everyone was tired so we went back to campground right after eating.

H&H was pretty nice and the beer I had was good. Now the nice, peaceful campground features a guy with a mullet, and another camp blaring classic rock. At least it's not country, I guess. Oh, and the skeeters have found their dinner too!

Can't wait for the party! I wish I would have chevked the forums last night gefore bed, I could have brought all kinds of hops!

We're in Escanaba. Set up the tents and had dinner at H&H Brewpub. Everyone was tired so we went back to campground right after eating.

H&H was pretty nice and the beer I had was good. Now the nice, peaceful campground features a guy with a mullet, and another camp blaring classic rock. At least it's not country, I guess. Oh, and the skeeters have found their dinner too!

Can't wait for the party! I wish I would have chevked the forums last night gefore bed, I could have brought all kinds of hops!

We've got the hops under control. Some campground you're at! At least it's not country music. I think all of the radio stations (except for two) are bad country music.

We'll have my favorite music tomorrow- lschiavo is bringing speakers for IPODs. I plan on my absolute favorite brewing music- 90s grunge.

We made sure the pontoon boat has plenty of gas, and we've got plenty of room.

I don't know what you guys are planning exactly- but Bob pulled out the Ottawa map, and I can show you a couple of waterfalls that would be on your way to Houghton. Of course, that's for daylight hours. Bond Falls is on the way, and it's really a nice waterfall that the kids should love.

We have firewood ready for a fire tomorrow night- let's hope it doesn't rain again!

We've got the hops under control. Some campground you're at! At least it's not country music. I think all of the radio stations (except for two) are bad country music.

We'll have my favorite music tomorrow- lschiavo is bringing speakers for IPODs. I plan on my absolute favorite brewing music- 90s grunge.

We made sure the pontoon boat has plenty of gas, and we've got plenty of room.

I don't know what you guys are planning exactly- but Bob pulled out the Ottawa map, and I can show you a couple of waterfalls that would be on your way to Houghton. Of course, that's for daylight hours. Bond Falls is on the way, and it's really a nice waterfall that the kids should love.

We have firewood ready for a fire tomorrow night- let's hope it doesn't rain again!

No rain! Cross your fingers!

Well, everyone seemed to survive the brewday. I forgot to take pictures, but Bob took a few.
DSCF3029.jpg

DSCF3022.jpg

DSCF3024.jpg

DSCF3035.jpg

DSCF3028.jpg

Not particularly flattering photos, but you can see how it was set up. I didn't even think about taking pictures of the campfire, the pontoon boat rides, the games, etc.

We had HenryHill and Swmbo, Xiang and Swmbo, lschiavo, odawg and friend, Homercidal and Swmbo and kids, various neighbors of mine who wandered in, and Bob, my daughter and I.

Xiang and lschiavo did the work of brewing, while I managed to drink, talk, and enjoy myself.

The food was great! We had bacon wrapped grilled shrimp, stuffed pork loin (Homercidal), porketta sandwiches (lschiavo), an awesome dip (Mrs. Homer), bacon wrapped water chestnuts (Mrs. HenryHill), deepfried bluegills and crappies (mr. Yooper), cornbread, and cole slaw. We started eating around 1PM, and finished up with S'mores around 1 AM, I believe. I might have eaten more than I drank. Well, no, probably not! :D

Funny thing- a few people brought beer to share. The kegerator only held IPAs! Homer brought a few bottles, and O'dawg did too, so there was some variety. My neighbors probably thought all those hoppy beers were awful, though! ;)

It was a great time! Looking forward to the 2nd annual. I have a few pics I will post when I get to a real computer. Thanks to all for the great food, beer and company.

Had a blast at the brew day. There was a ton of great food and beer passed around. Loved having three IPA's on tap. We all looked a bit rough in the morning, which explains why there wasn't much beer left in any of the kegs :drunk: .

I managed to take a couple of pics.

yoopers1.jpg

yoopers2.jpg

yoopers3.jpg

yoopers4.jpg

We were shooting for 1.060, but hit 1.070 on our 15gal batch. We eventually figured out that we boiled off 3/4gal more wort then we had planned. I guess that happens when your boiling away for 30+ minutes before you realize that the 60min additions never got added, oops!!!!!
yoopers5.jpg

And lastly my favorite pic. Yooper at the helm right before she pulls off her patented "Submarine Dive" with the pontoon boat.
yoopers6.jpg

Another highlight of the trip was stopping off at Culver's in Escanaba for lunch and running into Alice Cooper as we were leaving!!!!

And lastly my favorite pic. Yooper at the helm right before she pulls off her patented "Submarine Dive" with the pontoon boat.

I love the picture of my dog!

And STOP with the submarine dive comments. Bob is gonna take my boat away. :D

It was funny, though- after you guys left, we went down to the boat to check everything out. His only comment? "Wow- it must have rained last night. The entire decking on the boat is soaked. Or, maybe it really did go underwater", complete with a stern look. I just shrugged.

Sorry I didn't make it out there. My counciling thing went a little late, then when we got out storms were rolling in down here so the SWMBO made the executive decision that she didn't want to head out there. It looks like the weather held up over that way though and that you guys had a great time!

Sorry I didn't make it out there. My counciling thing went a little late, then when we got out storms were rolling in down here so the SWMBO made the executive decision that she didn't want to head out there. It looks like the weather held up over that way though and that you guys had a great time!

Yep, no storm/rain at all. We had great weather. I did hear that there was a storm about 25 miles south of us, and it did cloud up for a few minutes. But it cleared off and stayed nice. We sat out by the fire until about 1 AM (?) before staggering off to bed. We missed you!

I'm back, baby! But I have to run a machine out back all day because our customer threw out an old mold and now we suddenly have to build a prototype mold to cover their @ss and I get to run it since I'm so eager to help!!

Anyway, had a great time and I hope to post a few pics of my own later.

CYA!

EDIT: That's See Ya! NOT Cover Your @ss!

I'm back, baby! But I have to run a machine out back all day because our customer threw out an old mold and now we suddenly have to build a prototype mold to cover their @ss and I get to run it since I'm so eager to help!!

Anyway, had a great time and I hope to post a few pics of my own later.

CYA!

EDIT: That's See Ya! NOT Cover Your @ss!

I'm glad you made it home safe! It was so great meeting your family. I think you're the only one who didn't make it on the boat at one time or another, so you'll have to come back sometime for a personal boat ride/tour of the lake.

It was wonderful having you guys stay at the cottage.

I'm glad you made it home safe! It was so great meeting your family. I think you're the only one who didn't make it on the boat at one time or another, so you'll have to come back sometime for a personal boat ride/tour of the lake.

It was wonderful having you guys stay at the cottage.

The beer was flowing pretty freely, so I'll forgive you for forgetting that I was actually on board during the near sinking incident. And the discussion of the spawning beds and crazy weather that has confused the fish.

But yeah, we really need to do this again sometime. I plan on hosting at some point, but I don't really have anything interesting to do at my place. Well, I have horseshoes... But I think ladderball is probably safer for people who have been drinking!

On a side note: We had a great time up there at MTU. Stopped at Bond Falls on the way up and WOW! That is a very cool waterfall! I wish I had felt better! (thanks, beer...) Got some (hopefully) nice pictures, but I would have enjoyed playing in the falls.

on the way home stopped by Canyon Falls and that was awesome as well! Completely different type of falls, but that gorge is GORGEous! (pun intended)

Kim is having fun. The dorm is hot but she has a couple of fans. I caught my wife staring at her phone last night as we drove home. I asked her if she was waiting for Kim to call her. This week long camp is like a little slice of goign away to college for her and it's hard. I think it's a good practice run for both Kim and mom.

Now mom is worried that Kim will like MTU and not want to go to nearby Ferris. She's even texted back that she "Loves it up here!" Of course, she hasn't been up there in the winter yet...

Lastly, before I head back to run some more parts:

Thanks to Yooperbrew and Mr. Yooper for their very generous hospitality! We all had a great time and even though there were 3 veyr similar IPAs on tap, I didn't hear anyone complaining. HenryHill brought some MBC IPAs and I forgot how much I liked that beer! And I'm certainly going to be trying to make some of those bacon-wrapped water chestnuts, and the Porketta!

Crap. Gotta go back to work. :(

Looks like a good time was had by all. Maybe next year, if it turns out to be an annual event.

I hope so! I had a great time, and I would hope that my "imaginary friends" would want to come again.

(I've banned Bob from the forum, so he can't see any more references to "submarine rides" or "sinking boats". Those of you who boated with me will understand why.)

Had a great time and was great meeting you all! Too bad you couldn't make it BraveSirRobin.
Great weather, great beer, great food and great people! Was interesting watching the 15 gallon batch being brewed - with all of the different techniques used and a larger operation than I usually do (5 gal batches).

(I've banned Bob from the forum, so he can't see any more references to "submarine rides" or "sinking boats". Those of you who boated with me will understand why.)

The "submarine maneuver" was executed beautifully. Even Bob couldn't deny the skill and precision of such a maneuver had he been on board. :D

Sorry these are a little late. My computer crashed just after the brewday and just before our vacation. I am just now getting it working again. I only took a few shots myself. Homer remember our "flash fight"? Pretty wild if I caught your flash going off. Maybe it just reflected?

2010-07-10_20_58_55.jpg

2010-07-10_20_58_37.jpg

2010-07-10_20_57_05.jpg

2010-07-10_20_56_41.jpg

2010-07-10_14_53_16.jpg

Sorry these are a little late. My computer crashed just after the brewday and just before our vacation. I am just now getting it working again. I only took a few shots myself. Homer remember our "flash fight"? Pretty wild if I caught your flash going off. Maybe it just reflected?

2010-07-10_20_56_41.jpg

I studied that photo for a while and finally came to the conclusion that it was neither my flash, nor a reflection. I believe you have simply managed to capture my brilliance on film! :rockin:

Actually, if you look close you can see that the bottom of that flash is cut off, so I think this might just be a reflection off my lens. I think if it was my flash, it would have been a complete circle.

What a great time! I picked up some water chestnuts yesterday and am going to try making those bacon-wrapped things that Z made. And I need to get the recipe for the Porketta.

I'm not worried about the fish though, cause I think the odds of me getting to a lake and actually catching fish is way down.

Latest posts

Back