Integrated Kitchen Brewery/Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image-1968897708.jpg

Dialing in the site glasses from Bobby, these are really great units.

image-618134710.jpg

Sweet! Both the HLT and Boil kettle are fired up using my old setup. HLT controlled by an A419 with a 1500W element, and boil controlled by a 3500W element -- no controller, just plug in and boil! I'm running out of beer, so I need to brew ASAP. I am going to use my old igloo cooler with false bottom to knock out some brews. I need to figure out how to setup the ball valve and adapt it to the Blingman false bottom next. I'll be putting in an order with bobby to figure this out soon!

If you rotate those pump heads 90º so that the outlet is on top (inlet on bottom) they will prime easier (also helps them drain better after cleaning)

*edit - nice work by the way!

brew-n-que said:
If you rotate those pump heads 90º so that the outlet is on top (inlet on bottom) they will prime easier (also helps them drain better after cleaning)

*edit - nice work by the way!

I have heard this a lot, but this is exact same setup I have already ran for years. I have never had a single issue with priming or cleaning. I don't understand how people have issues with priming these pumps. As long as it's below water line it has always worked fine for me :)

I'm actually brewing right now and will take a pic when sparging :)

image-197462156.jpg

Brewing this morning with my old mash tun -- the new one isn't finished yet. I need to get some beer out! Brewing a red oatmeal IPA. So far this system is working great. Just need to finish the mash tun and HLT coil.

texwake said:
Any updates? I have been watching this thread more than any other thread.

Very soon! My last bit of hardware is arriving from bobby and the brewery will be finished. I am putting up more and more wood trying to finish up the wood wall. First week in March I will have new pictures :)

Cheers
T

Is there a thread on how to make those bottle lamps?

I just saw the bottle cutter. Cut off bottom, insert lamp, plug in. I was thinking the bottoms were still on somehow.

Brewmech said:
Is there a thread on how to make those bottle lamps?

I just saw the bottle cutter. Cut off bottom, insert lamp, plug in. I was thinking the bottoms were still on somehow.

Exactly. It's too easy. :)

T

Where are you getting the wood for your walls? Is it just pallet wood for example or something else? Looks cool!

stoneyts said:
Where are you getting the wood for your walls? Is it just pallet wood for example or something else? Looks cool!

It's wood I have found on the side of the road, or old fences my dad took down (he has rental property), some pallets, old wood chairs, old furniture I cut up..basically any wood I can get for free.

Finishing up the valves today...
image-332038113.jpg

image-3333627386.jpg
Almost done with the brewery!

image-1825975668.jpg
Inside HLT

image-817254096.jpg
Inside mash tun

image-3854775748.jpg
Inside kettle with whirlpool arm

Just a hint...
Make your MLT return hose inside the MLT MUCH longer. You want that thing to WRAP around the top of the grain bed and rest on top of it. I ran mine like your photo shows for a few batches and I think I was having trouble with channeling. The return line would dig itself down into the grainbed.
Looking GREAT though...

Huaco said:
Just a hint...
Make your MLT return hose inside the MLT MUCH longer. You want that thing to WRAP around the top of the grain bed and rest on top of it. I ran mine like your photo shows for a few batches and I think I was having trouble with channeling. The return line would dig itself down into the grainbed.
Looking GREAT though...

I used to have a long one and I hated it, as long as it sits flat I don't see an issue. I do 1 hour sparges and it's very slow, I don't think it will be an issue. I will see....

What was it that you dis-liked so much? I changed mine up to be removable... Cam lock fitting on the vessel wall, and a female cam lock on the hose end the out to a street elbow. I don't have picture of mine... will try to grab a picture this evening. Makes it REAL easy to remove for clean-up.

Huaco said:
Here is a picture from where I got the idea. It is VERY nice to be able to remove that hose.

That's way too many connectors and too bulky. I'm just gonna use the high flow 5/8 fitting from bobby, easy on, easy off.

Cheers
T

image-1790977940.jpg
More and more wood going up! Almost done!

image-2663620321.jpg
Finished!

image-2528068709.jpg
The brewery itself is finished using my old electronics. Up next is a Kal-style panel.

image-4281013978.jpg

Brewed by first beer on this setup with the final pot/HERMS configuration. Worked great.

image-3620978157.jpg

This is a picture for all those who say you can't get a good whirlpool mound with an IC.

Cheers

Ok...it's been awhile. My trusty A419 finally gave up the ghost....now for phase 2...

image-3830407820.jpg

Game on!

Front drilled!

image-3096769751.jpg

Wish I knew someone in houston that could build this for me! I like building this kindda stuff but this is outside of my tech knowledge.

image-865442926.jpg

This is the best place to put my control box. I don't have enough room on the right of the kettles. It's close to the sink, but I don't think it will be an issue -- I don't splash in that sink anyway. Either way for mashing and sparging I don't use the sink.

image-3064344723.jpg

So once I'm boiling and need to use the sink -- it folds neatly out of the way. Now to just finish wiring.

Wish I knew someone in houston that could build this for me! I like building this kindda stuff but this is outside of my tech knowledge.

All the NASA nerds in Clearlake? You should def be able to find some brewers down there that could help you out.

Haha, I don't know any of them. Also unfortunately after the Space program got canned a lot of people lost their NASA jobs down here. The city of Houston is already trying to phase out coining the phrase "the space city" sadly enough.

image-2246738490.jpg

Labels attached! If anybody in San Diego needs labels/tags made, I have a great place!

One more finishing touch coming up!

looking great! do a panorama of it! (if you have a droid it's already in the photo app)

and agreed with firing up the panel, always brings a smile to my face. i have my father in law come over to brew every so often and his comments are always "that is so badass..."

Rivenin said:
looking great! do a panorama of it! (if you have a droid it's already in the photo app)

and agreed with firing up the panel, always brings a smile to my face. i have my father in law come over to brew every so often and his comments are always "that is so badass..."

Once it's totally done I will do a panorama!

First brew today with new box!

image-1643562222.jpg
Auto tuning the HLT PID.

image-1178890843.jpg
image-3483378927.jpg

Mashing and recirculating. I have a 2 deg differential between mash and HLT.

Cheers!

Back