American 2-Row/Galena SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

combatdiver

Reaction score
So I decided to to finally do a smash last night and my wife wanted a hoppy one. Here is what I did.

10# 2-Row
4.5oz Galena Hop Pellets
Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale

Mashed at 152 for 60 min
Sparged
Boiled for 60
2 oz @ 60
1 oz @ 30
.5 oz @ 10
.5 oz @ 5
.5 oz @ flame out

Cooled to 70, pitched yeast and now the waiting game.
I plan on:
7 days in the primary
7 days in the seconday
14 days conditioning in the Keg

Let me know what you all think.....Thanks

I'd use the 1 oz from the 30min addition as a dry hop instead. That would really bump up your hop aroma

Damn, what are the AA% of those hops? That is gonna be bitter, let us know how it turns out.

Damn, what are the AA% of those hops? That is gonna be bitter, let us know how it turns out.

Ditto. Galena are typically 11-13 range on the AA%. That puts you around 100 IBUs just with the 60 min addition. That will be super bitter.

Yeah pull the 30 min,think i had hop-goggles earlier.Think i would mash higher and get some crystal in for sweetness although i cant recall for shure but i swear i get some hop sweetness from Galena maybe,it seems.
Try a Mikkeller Ultramate 1000. That is what bitter is.1000 ibu's. Although i thought a 20-40 ibu ordinary bitter i made may have been close to as bitter.

So I decided to to finally do a smash last night and my wife wanted a hoppy one. Here is what I did.

10# 2-Row
4.5oz Galena Hop Pellets
Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale

Mashed at 152 for 60 min
Sparged
Boiled for 60
2 oz @ 60
1 oz @ 30
.5 oz @ 10
.5 oz @ 5
.5 oz @ flame out

Cooled to 70, pitched yeast and now the waiting game.
I plan on:
7 days in the primary
7 days in the seconday
14 days conditioning in the Keg

Let me know what you all think.....Thanks

OP, how did this turn out? I have 3 lbs of Galena and planned on doing a SMASH recipe this weekend.

Back