How to use runoff from today for starter foro 09/09/09 brew on Sunday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppy360

Reaction score
I'm using a gallon of runoff from my brew today (hazed and confused clone) for the starter for my 09/09/09 brew on Sunday.

Should I start the starter today and just let it sit in the "fermenter" until sunday? (actually 2 starters)

Or, do I store the wort for 3 days and start my starter on Thursday?

Other possibilities? Comments/suggestions?

Unless you can pressure-can the wort, I'd make the starter(s) now. Is this already boiled or leftover runnings from the MLT? What's the SG? Aim for around a 1.040 with a starter.

It's approx. 1.3G of runoff that I'm going to boil to to .5G of approx 1.040. Then, I'll split that into two pint starters. I know they should be bigger, but I just don't have that ability. Hopefully this should workout.

It's approx. 1.3G of runoff that I'm going to boil to to .5G of approx 1.040. Then, I'll split that into two pint starters. I know they should be bigger, but I just don't have that ability. Hopefully this should workout.

Boil it ASAP! Unboiled wort is a breeding ground for lactic acid bacteria, and it'll start to sour within a couple of hours or less.

It's already boiling. I may reduce down so that I can get 2x24 fl oz starters and add some dextrose to make up for the lack of SG.

I would make the starter now as mentioned above. If it ferments out before you are ready to brew the 09-09-09 then just let sit in the "primary" until you are ready. Essentially a starter is just a small beer. I actually prefer to let my starter ferment all the way out and then crash cool it at around 40-45 degrees to make sure the yeast settles out. When I'm ready to pitch I decant the starter off the yeast and swirl up the yeast and dump it in.

It's already boiling. I may reduce down so that I can get 2x24 fl oz starters and add some dextrose to make up for the lack of SG.

That sounds ok, except I wouldn't add dextrose. It's better to have a small starter than to have the yeast acclimated to eating pure sugar. You want them to be hungry for maltose, and to be ready to ferment your beer.

That sounds ok, except I wouldn't add dextrose. It's better to have a small starter than to have the yeast acclimated to eating pure sugar. You want them to be hungry for maltose, and to be ready to ferment your beer.

oh well, too late. Think it'll be bad? Go with the dry stuff or just pitch and see?

Back