Aging Edwort's Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanH

Reaction score
My apfelwein has been in primary for 6 weeks. Should I leave it for a few more months or bottle it and let it age in the bottle. I wasn't planning on racking to a secondary but I can if I need to. What do you think?

You've met the 6 week minimum. If you're short on apfelwein rations I would suggest bottling it now. If you age it in the bottle, you can drink them whenever you'd like. If you're lazy, or short on empty bottles, then wait.
Aging in the carboy will give you a higher clarity in the apfelwein and some phenols will settle out. You may want to pitch some fresh yeast in your bottling bucket if you wait.
I wouldn't bother with the secondary.

Awesome thank you. I'd rather wait a few more months and then keg.

I don't know anything about a "six week minimum," I don't think about bottling mine for a minimum of 6 months. Then I don't touch those bottles for another 6 months minimum. I'm drinking some 2 year old that is amazing.

I don't know anything about a "six week minimum," I don't think about bottling mine for a minimum of 6 months. Then I don't touch those bottles for another 6 months minimum. I'm drinking some 2 year old that is amazing.

Revvy - Is there enough yeast left in suspension after 6 months in primary to carbonate it, or do you not bother carbonating it?

Revvy - Is there enough yeast left in suspension after 6 months in primary to carbonate it, or do you not bother carbonating it?

I carbonate mine, quite high actually, like a champagne. And yes, there has been enough both times I've done it. But it takes months to carb that way. You can add fresh yeast if you want. but you MUST make sure fermentation is complete (letting it sit for 6 months seems to do it,) or pasteurize it before bottling.

I agree that your apfelwein doesn't have a six week minimum, but I'm quite sure that is what Edworts outlines. As read in the recipe "Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): At least 6 weeks at 74 degrees".
Whether it is "at least 6 weeks" or "a minimum of 6 weeks", let's not split hairs.

I agree that your apfelwein doesn't have a six week minimum, but I'm quite sure that is what Edworts outlines. As read in the recipe "Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): At least 6 weeks at 74 degrees".
Whether it is "at least 6 weeks" or "a minimum of 6 weeks", let's not split hairs.

And if you've read tons of other discussions, even in his thread, you will see how many folks have come to realize that apfelwein seriously improves with age....

I just started home brewing. So...My house stays close to 74 degrees in general. And, after 6 weeks the liquid had stopped bubbling. And, I waited the general 3 days. Then, we went on a trip; the house temp dropped. And, when we got back and turned the heater on again, the liquid started bubbling again. Do I wait to bottle until the bubbling stops again; or, can I bottle now?

Thank you for your advice.

I just started home brewing. So...My house stays close to 74 degrees in general. And, after 6 weeks the liquid had stopped bubbling. And, I waited the general 3 days. Then, we went on a trip; the house temp dropped. And, when we got back and turned the heater on again, the liquid started bubbling again. Do I wait to bottle until the bubbling stops again; or, can I bottle now?

Thank you for your advice.

Whats your FG at? I would take a hydrometer test and see where your gravity is.

Latest posts

Back