Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LHBS wants almost 3 $ a pound for flaked corn... I know it might sound crazy, but can you just use bulk no-brand corn flakes (no additives) ? We're already using minute maid rice after all...

I also saw that someone almost got flaked rye by accident, wich got me thinking of dropping the corn altoghter and replacing it with rye for that spicy crisp taste.

My LHBS wants almost 3 $ a pound for flaked corn... I know it might sound crazy, but can you just use bulk no-brand corn flakes (no additives) ? We're already using minute maid rice after all...

I also saw that someone almost got flaked rye by accident, wich got me thinking of dropping the corn altoghter and replacing it with rye for that spicy crisp taste.

I think grits are what you are looking for, not cornflakes breakfast cereal. Because I don't really enjoy the corn flavor, when I make a light hybrid beer like this, I leave the corn out and use a little more rice.

I did the original recipe and it came out great, but next time I do this brew I'll definitely decrease the corn and increase the rice to minimize the corn flavor. I couldn't get crystal either so I substituted Hallertauer, and that worked out really well.

I did the original recipe and it came out great, but next time I do this brew I'll definitely decrease the corn and increase the rice to minimize the corn flavor. I couldn't get crystal either so I substituted Hallertauer, and that worked out really well.

I too like Hallertauer in the light hybrid ales I brew.

Yeah just kegged my second attempt at this beer.

my 3rd will not have any Corn in it. I can't stand it. I even lowered the amount to a half pound. I must have never drank a beer with corn in it because that beer is like drinking corn of the cob.

my 3rd will not have any Corn in it. I can't stand it. I even lowered the amount to a half pound. I must have never drank a beer with corn in it because that beer is like drinking corn of the cob.​

That's what my wife says too. Too much corn for her... this is after I decreased the corn by half. She does have a very good palate, so I'm going to eliminate the corn and boost the hops a little.

+1 on adding hops. I had 1 oz of Brewers Gold in my fridge that had been there for a few months and so I decided to throw it in. 9.7% AA at 30 min. Turned out a little more bitter than I would have liked, based on the style, but it is great.

Can someone double check this mini mash/partial boil conversion for me? Doing a small batch, just 3.5 gal to bring with me on a hunting/camping trip in December.

2 lbs 2-row
1.25 lbs flakes corn
.75 lbs flakes rice

1 lbs light DME

.5 oz each Liberty and Tettnenger hops

S-05

Mash the grains in 5qt water (90 min @ 152*)
Edit: I'll probably add a small amount of gypsum, 1 tsp?, to drop the pH a bit as I brew with water filtered from the local supermarket.
Sparge with 2 gal @ 170*
Should have ~3 gal wort left at this point
Boil, add hops for 80 min
Add DME, whirlflock, boil 10 additional minutes
Chill, move to fermentor, top off to 3.5 gal (~.75-1 gal), aerate and pitch

My math says this will be about 1041 based on low 60s efficiency and 17IBUs... Can anyone verify this should be about right? Thanks!

at 70% efficiency, i get 1.041 with that extract/grain bill, ending with 3.5 gallons, so that sounds fine. when will you be adding the hops? if you were to add both at 60 minutes, i get about 28 IBU with the rager formula.

android said:
at 70% efficiency, i get 1.041 with that extract/grain bill, ending with 3.5 gallons, so that sounds fine. when will you be adding the hops? if you were to add both at 60 minutes, i get about 28 IBU with the rager formula.

I can't remember what IBU method I built my spreadsheet with, but I'm getting 18 witn a 90 min boil after accounting for the dilution of a partial boil and the hops at 3 and 3.2% AA.

I also game up with 1041 but assumed my efficiency to be lower... Figuring on 25 pts per pound per gallon for the grains. Speaking of which, I think I figured correctly that I will have enough diastatic power to conniver the corn and rice. 70L with 2 lbs 2-row and 4 total lbs, right?

Thanks so much for taking the time to chech this, it'll be my second mini mash and the first was a disaster!

Can someone double check this mini mash/partial boil conversion for me? Doing a small batch, just 3.5 gal to bring with me on a hunting/camping trip in December.

2 lbs 2-row
1.25 lbs flakes corn
.75 lbs flakes rice

1 lbs light DME

.5 oz each Liberty and Tettnenger hops

S-05

Mash the grains in 5qt water (90 min @ 152*)
Edit: I'll probably add a small amount of gypsum, 1 tsp?, to drop the pH a bit as I brew with water filtered from the local supermarket.
Sparge with 2 gal @ 170*
Should have ~3 gal wort left at this point
Boil, add hops for 80 min
Add DME, whirlflock, boil 10 additional minutes
Chill, move to fermentor, top off to 3.5 gal (~.75-1 gal), aerate and pitch

My math says this will be about 1041 based on low 60s efficiency and 17IBUs... Can anyone verify this should be about right? Thanks!

Welp, brewed this batch up tonight. Had some temp issues during mash (strike temp calculator seemed way off, the "rule of thumb" I've read of 5+pounds of grain over desired temp would have been right on) but stay in the 148-158 range, as far as I could tell.

Missed my target OG by .003, and efficiency was 59%, which I suppose isn't terrible for a second try at mini-mashing, with the first being a disaster, brew in a bag on an electric flattop stove. Hopefully it ferments all the way down to the target 1.005 and ends up as tasty as everyone else's!

Thanks for the help and the recipe.

if i boil for 90 mins, would i boil the hops for 90 mins, or just add the hops after its been boiling for 60 mins??

Sorefingers,

The total boil is 90 mins. and the hops are boiled for 60 mins. Either way, your utilization would be pretty close and with low AA% hops, the difference is negligible.

I just made this recipe and used 1oz-perle at 60, 1oz-liberty at10, and 1oz-liberty at flameout. This is an excellent beer. It may not be technically a cream ale, but I look at it as simply a lightly hopped cream ale..
Great recipe for folks looking to move from Extract to AG..

This thread by BierMuncher gets a lot of attention. Not sure where the recipe originated, Cream Ale has been a "style" for some time now. But this base recipe has been the anchor of several beers I've done for festivals. I believe if I had tried I could have placed in some competitions with this one. The nice thing that BierMuncher points out is that this recipe can be altered and experimented with. I'm not sure I've brewed the exact same recipe twice but every one has turned out to be just what BierMuncher describes "A crowd pleaser." While it may not be a favorite among hardcore home brewers it is definitely a fav among the BMC crowd and particularly with the ladies. It is an excellent choice which I highly recommend for parties, festivals, etc. I've served variations of this at 3 festivals and this recipe is always one of the first kegs to pop. People literally ask for it by name.

My favorite variation so far was my first attempt served at a fall festival. I used 6 row barley malt and it literally looked like champagne from the color to the carbonation bubbling from bottom of the glass to the top. Watching it clear was a real thrill for me.

My second was a 2 row english pale barley malt at a different festival. It was a hot day and this beer was well appreciated by the crowd. Good head retention but more of a beer color than a champagne color.

My third attempt I threw caution to the wind and used Pilsner Malt and Lager yeast though I fermented it like any ale. It was a hot summer festival and I under carbonated it. I think heavy carbonation fills you up too much on a hot summer day. While this beer was low carbonation, low head retention the crowd woofed it down and came back for more.

The crowd wore this recipe out at all three festivals. The common theme is the light hop flavor brings out the malty flavor. Bottom line, follow BierMuncher's base recipe and proper home brewing procedures and this beer disappears in the crowd.

Made my third batch of this back on 9-09-10.
Secondary with gelatin on 9-25-10.
Kegged 10-07-10
Tapped 10-23-10

I used my tap (city) water which has chloramine in it. I forgot to add the campden until I doughed in, so I added half to the mash and the other half to the sparge water in the HLT and stirred.

I don't have any off flavors, but the beer is cloudy like a wheat beer. I do not believe it is chill haze because I let it sit out to rise to room temp and the color remained the same.

Any idea's on the clarity issue? Would the campden in the mash cause this?

Recipe

Cream of 3 Crops
6-A Cream Ale
Author: BM HBT
Date: 9/9/10

Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 92.0%
Attenuation: 78.0%
Calories: 148.75 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.045 (1.042 - 1.055)
Terminal Gravity: 1.010 (1.006 - 1.012)
Color: 2.23 (2.5 - 5.0)
Alcohol: 4.6% (4.2% - 5.6%)
Bitterness: 14.9 (15.0 - 20.0)

Ingredients:
7 lb American 2-row
1.5 lb Corn Flaked (Maize)
1.0 lb Minute Rice - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
.5 oz Willamette (4.6%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
.75 oz Crystal (3.3%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Notes
Mashed for 90 minutes.
Boiled for 90 minutes.

Forgot Campden and added into mash and sparge water and recirculated.

Temp was set at 60-64 in fermenter. After 6 days increased to 65-70 and primary started bubbling again.

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.12

I made a 10 gallon batch if this several months ago. I split it into 2 fermenters and used notty in one and US05 in the other. The notty fermented out much quicker and I kegged both with gelatin. They are both extremely clear. The US05 batch definately tastes better and cleaner. I wouldn't do it again with with the notty, it has an after taste that I don't care for much. I'm letting that keg age a few months to see if it gets better. When I do this one again I'm going to bump up the corn a little more and try US05 again and maybe some type of good liquid yeast.

I am making a 5.5 gal batch of this on saturday and I have a few questions:

#1 Says to mash at 152. Is this a simple batch sparge with no mash out?

#2 I haven't done a mash yet with rice but I have used it in a partial mash once and I noticed the rice absorbs a lot of the water. How much additional water should I add to the mash to compensate for water absorption? I typically go with a 1.25qt/lb ratio

#3 My LHBS doesn't have Crystal hops so I was thinking of substituting with Hallertau or Perle. Thoughts?

I am really eager to make this! The last recipe I made of yours was superb.

I am making a 5.5 gal batch of this on saturday and I have a few questions:

#1 Says to mash at 152. Is this a simple batch sparge with no mash out?

#2 I haven't done a mash yet with rice but I have used it in a partial mash once and I noticed the rice absorbs a lot of the water. How much additional water should I add to the mash to compensate for water absorption? I typically go with a 1.25qt/lb ratio

#3 My LHBS doesn't have Crystal hops so I was thinking of substituting with Hallertau or Perle. Thoughts?

I am really eager to make this! The last recipe I made of yours was superb.

Right...simple sparge.

There really isn't enough rice to impact your water volumes. I'm not much of an exact science guy when it comes to water. I mash to the right consitency and sparge with enough water to rinse all the sugars.

I think that Perle might be a bit cleaner than Hall...but since there is such a small amount and it's a full 60-minute boil...it really won't make a difference. :mug:

Right...simple sparge.

There really isn't enough rice to impact your water volumes. I'm not much of an exact science guy when it comes to water. I mash to the right consitency and sparge with enough water to rinse all the sugars.

I think that Perle might be a bit cleaner than Hall...but since there is such a small amount and it's a full 60-minute boil...it really won't make a difference. :mug:

Excellent thanks.

I went with Mt. Hood as a replacement for Crystal.

Looking forward to this!

Hello All,

Just had a new baby boy and decided to take up homebrewing as my new hobby. I have brewed a few batches using extract so far.

I am trying this one as my 1st all grain batch. Looking forward to trying it out.

I figured I stay up to 3am every night b/c of the new baby so I started my batch at 10pm. Slated to finish at 3:15am. Looks like I can brew at anytime without SWMBO being mad. As a matter of fact she is thrilled that I am staying up with the baby and I am thrilled that I get to brew beer. :ban:

Just finished brewing up 11.5 gallons of this stuff!

Brewed it to the letter (30% adjunct, 70% 2-row). No rice hulls needed on my HERMS setup. I've been able to brew 70% wheat beers without any recirculation or stuck sparge issues.

My water's very soft (good for this style). I added some CaCl2 to balance the Cl with the S04.

Was targetting 1.040/65F into the fermenters. Got 1.041/65F. Close enough!
Pitched the hydrated US-05. It's fermenting now at 66F.

Kal

Anyone experimented with this recipe and a kolsch yeast? I harvested quite a bit of Wyeast Kolsch II this past summer and need to start using it up.

Kolsch is a great yeast for this beer. Very clean fermentation. Keep it on the cooler side and once the fermentation appears complete, try to set the fermenter into a lagering environment (55-60 degrees) for a week or two.

Buddy an me made a 5 gallon batch of this.
Going to serve it this weekend at an ugly Christmas sweater party I'm hosting.

Will have pics to follow

here is the beer and ugly sweaters.

150509_10150342554975046_508205045_15998334_575722_n.jpg

Just brewed this up again. Ive used different hops each time ive brewed it. Saturday night I did a 5.5 gallon batch with 1oz of cascade at 60 min. Should be delicous

Did you only use the 1oz cascade? Or did you add more at some other time during the boil. What and how much of the grains did you use? Is a 90min boil necessary?

Did you only use the 1oz cascade? Or did you add more at some other time during the boil. What and how much of the grains did you use? Is a 90min boil necessary?

i only used 1 oz cascade at 60 min. that puts this brew at 25 ibus which is on the higher end for this style. i did do the 90 min boil. it drives off the dms and gives it a crisper taste. Ive also done this brew a few other ways. once i used 1 oz williamette and 1 oz saaz at 60 and then dryhopped it with fuggles for 1 week.:rockin:

After I brewed the Cream Ale, I added 2 gallons of 150.5F water, 2# of two row, and .25# 60L. I do BIAB so I put all that in a cooler for 48 hours. I dunk sparged with 2 gallons of 170F. I brought it up to 7 gallons preboil. .25 oz Cascade for 60 min, .25 oz Coriander 5 min, .25 oz Grains of Paradise 5 min. After high krausen I added 1/2# table sugar. OG 1031. S-05 yeast @ low 60s F.

Called it my Sour American.
souramerican.jpg

After I brewed the Cream Ale, I added 2 gallons of 150.5F water, 2# of two row, and .25# 60L. I do BIAB so I put all that in a cooler for 48 hours. I dunk sparged with 2 gallons of 170F. I brought it up to 7 gallons preboil. .25 oz Cascade for 60 min, .25 oz Coriander 5 min, .25 oz Grains of Paradise 5 min. After high krausen I added 1.2# table sugar. OG 1031. S-05 yeast @ low 60s F.

Called it my Sour American.
souramerican.jpg

I LIKE IT! :mug: It almost describes me in the label. Luckily none of the people from the debate forum actually brew, or read any other forum so they won't get to argue about your label.

Is it possible to boil a 10 gallon batch in two different kettles? I want to make a 10 gallon batch but my boil kettle is not big enough. Can I split it up and use half the amount of hops in each kettle?

I did a similar beer with pilsner malt and rice with the intent of making it similar to Labatt Blue. I didn't think it was worth making a new thread so I'll post it here.

Recipe: Labatt Blue Cream Ale
Style: American Light/Standard/Premium Lager
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 2.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Mash at 150 (FG for me was 1.008), pitch S05

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 81.3 %
1.00 lb Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 12.5 %
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (20 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (5 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.50 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 6.3 %

Came out just how I'd planned it, nice pilsner flavor with a noble hop flavor similar to Labatt Blue.

dscn1439k.jpg

If I do it again, I'll up the hops a little bit for my own tastes, I made this as a gift for a BMC drinker and actually enjoy it quite a bit.

Back