any tips for first recirculating mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
going to brew a 10 gallon batch of thunderstuck pumpkin but going to sub butternut squash instead of pumkin. im going to slice them in half, bake to get them soft, scoop out and mash together, spread on cookie sheet and bake for one hour.

i will add 2 lbs rice hulls also. should i worry about stuck sparge with butternut? seems pumkin can be sticky.

ive read up on recirculating and so far from what the process is going to be with my system is.

equipment - 13.2 gal keggle mash tun with steel braid line, sq14 burner and stand, march pump with gate valve on the out flow to control flow, ball valve out of keggle.

process - recirculate for 60 minutes and set gate valve to minimal flow out at the same rate the wort flows thru the grain bed. Set the burner on lowest posible setting to add heat to maintain temp. turn off burner when temp is reached. collect wort and batch sparge to boil volume.

this will be my first attemp to recirculate mash. shoud i expect a higher effiency? i generally get 68%-70% when i use my 10 gal igloo and batch sparge.

with using that pump, you want to start the pump with the control ball valve closed. then open the valve a crack to get the flow moving, then slowly adjust the valve to get a better flow rate.
If you try to just start the pump with the valve open, you may compact the bed and make for a long day

Back