Can I see the yeast, or are there crazy critters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonRogue

Reaction score
I acquired a small gallon sized carboy to toy around with to explore some of my more unique ideas; really the things I would like to taste before committing to either the fiscal or fermenting space requirements.

In this instance I am brewing my first batch of mead balanced between Joe's Ancient and Malkore's not so ancient (I know, not too unique or wild, but new to me). The liquid isn't as important to note as the color, which is largely a transparent and lightly toned yellow, which allows for me to see through rather well. As I geeked out staring at the first signs of fermentation and the bubble trails, I realized I could trace some of these down which lead to very tiny (really small) black specks on the side of the glass. Clearly there is a bubble stream coming out of them and spacing out further apart as they rise to the top. It's not a pin hole in the tank, and there are not multiple bubble lines (which may indicate clustered yeasties and the CO2 is just uniting from all there mass farts).

I don't have binocular vision and thought yeasts would be near impossible to see with the naked eye. Some searching in forums and online didn't yield any results and thought I'd toss it to the fellow brewers. Yeast? Critters?
Something else?

Unfortunately pictures aren't turning out both due to resolution and the light in the surface of the carboy, so sorry for no evidence of my potential crazy talk.

No, yeasties are not visible to the naked eye. Probably an imperfection in the glass allows the CO2 to come out of solution at that point.

A single yeast cell is too small to see. Lots of yeast cells, such as when they flocculate together into clumps are easy to see, so you're probably seeing a clump of little yeasties. Mead and wine tend to ferment slower than beer. When beer is fermenting at high kraeusen the churning of the yeast clumps looks like the best lava lamp ever!

What you are seeing are the Yeast Kings. They are larger in size than the normal yeasties and are the only ones visible to the naked eye. Usually they are quite reclusive and hang out in the middle of the wort. You, my friend, are extremely lucky to be able to meet one face to face. Feel free to say hello, wave or take lots of pictures (they love the paparazzi). Just remember that being kings, they do expect reverence, and you must bow before the carboy before addressing them.

I acquired a small gallon sized carboy to toy around with to explore some of my more unique ideas; really the things I would like to taste before committing to either the fiscal or fermenting space requirements.

In this instance I am brewing my first batch of mead balanced between Joe's Ancient and Malkore's not so ancient (I know, not too unique or wild, but new to me). The liquid isn't as important to note as the color, which is largely a transparent and lightly toned yellow, which allows for me to see through rather well. As I geeked out staring at the first signs of fermentation and the bubble trails, I realized I could trace some of these down which lead to very tiny (really small) black specks on the side of the glass. Clearly there is a bubble stream coming out of them and spacing out further apart as they rise to the top. It's not a pin hole in the tank, and there are not multiple bubble lines (which may indicate clustered yeasties and the CO2 is just uniting from all there mass farts).

I don't have binocular vision and thought yeasts would be near impossible to see with the naked eye. Some searching in forums and online didn't yield any results and thought I'd toss it to the fellow brewers. Yeast? Critters?
Something else?

Unfortunately pictures aren't turning out both due to resolution and the light in the surface of the carboy, so sorry for no evidence of my potential crazy talk.

Ahhh to be a new brewer again! So much fun, isn't it?

Anyway, if you can TRULY see the yeast cells you either need to:

A) Go public and tell the media you are a superhuman

B) Get professional psycological help, as these are hallucinations of some kind and may get worse in time. Other common hallucinations of the brewing commuinity are the belief beer makes you smarter, faster, slimmer, and sexier. Lol.

Welcome to the addiction.

Anyway, if you can TRULY see the yeast cells you either need to:

A) Go public and tell the media you are a superhuman

B) Get professional psycological help, as these are hallucinations of some kind and may get worse in time. Other common hallucinations of the brewing commuinity are the belief beer makes you smarter, faster, slimmer, and sexier. Lol.

Or,

C) Go check the packet of the yeast you pitched and make sure that it wasn't Sea Monkeys.

Thanks for the replies ;)

I assumed I was just seeing "things" but figured I'd toss it up for review/mockery of the more seasoned brewers.

Good to know I have some royalty in the house.

It's still bubbling, and consequently driving me mad; I'm used to the 1 week max turn around of ale. I guess it's all part of the new adventure with mead.

I'd say it's going 1 bubble a minute, as it has for the last month or so.

Although, it does appear my initially perceived little "yeast" specks have settled down, likely in their throne amidst the murk of their honeyed kingdom.

Back