Brown Ale Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanOmite

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to create a brown ale, but I am not sure what malts to choose; namely, what chocolate malt to use. Here is the recipe...

Ingredients

Malt
• 9 lb Light LME (half mashing and half at 15)
Specialty Grains
• 1.4 lb Crystal 60L (12.5%)
• 0.9 lb Victory (~8%)
• 0.7 lb Chocolate (~4%)
• 0.2 lb Roasted Barley (~2%)
Extra Stuff
• 1 tablespoon Irish Moss
• 1⁄2 cup Oak Chips (secondary, ~7 days)
Hops
• 1.0 oz Centennial 10% AA (60 minutes)
• 0.75 oz Centennial 10% AA (20 minutes)
• 0.75 oz Centennial 10% AA (0 minutes)
Yeast
• White Labs British Ale Yeast or Safale US-04

From what I have read my malt partitioning is pretty normal, but I cannot decide on domestic or British chocolate. From what I have read the domestic chocolate lends a reddish color in smaller amounts and the British a darker color. Also, the British is smother and roastier. Although, I don't want to add too much more roasty flavor, because I have the roasted barley already. As for the color, I wouldn't mind a nice reddish tint.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Personally I would cut back some on those specialty grains. I'd drop the RB all together , go with 1/2 lb chocolate,1/4lb Victory, and 1lb of Crystal. Maybe even 1/2 lb of Crystal. I think with what you have now , you're looking at being in Porter territory, IMO. Seems like it would come out pretty dark.

For the hops,I'm coming up with almost 60 IBU's which is pretty much out of style. should be around 35 maybe 40 at the far end of the scale. So I'd say cut it down by about half and you should be good to go. If you want to be within the style guidlines. But there's nothing wrong with a hoppy Brown Ale.

That my 2 cents worth.:mug:

Are you going for a Newcastle sort of brown ale?

The centennial seems out of place. I'd probably use East Kent Goldings.

You might try something like this. Looks like an easy drinking brew. I'd probably up the gravity by adding at least 1-2 more lbs of LME. I do all grain so a Extract or PM brewer may want to step in.

Dark Streets of London Brown Ale
(5 gallons, extract)
OG = 1.035
FG = 1.010 to 1.113

Ingredients:

• 4 lbs. pale malt extract syrup
• 8 oz. British crystal malt, 40° to 60° Lovibond
• 8 oz. chocolate malt
• 8 oz. dark molasses
• 0.6 oz. Northern Brewer hops (7% alpha acid), for 60 min.
• 0.5 oz. Kent Goldings hops (5% alpha acid), for 30 min.
• 1/2 tsp. Irish moss for 15 min.
• 3/4 cup sugar for priming

Step by Step:

Prior to the boil, steep crushed grains in a nylon mesh bag in 2 gals. of water at 160° F for 30 minutes. Some agitation will help extract the flavors from these grains. Remove the bag and squeeze out liquid. Add 3.5 gals. of water to bring the total volume to 5.5 gals.

Dissolve the malt syrup and the dark molasses in the water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add Northern Brewer hops. After 30 minutes add the Kent Goldings hops. Boil 15 minutes more and add Irish moss. Boil an additional 15 minutes. When the wort has boiled for 60 minutes, shut off the heat and cool the wort. Aerate wort and add yeast at 75° to 60° F. Ferment at 60° to 72° F. Bottle with priming sugar.

I'd go with .5 oz and 20 and 10 then dry hop with the other .5 oz. This is the American way. 6-8 oz American Chocolate malt and one pound of Crystal. That will give a nice chocolaty taste with the centennials tantalizing the tongue. I don't like the oak.

That's a helluva Brown ale. What is it, like 1.075? 60 IBUs, 3 lbs. of specialty grains, oak chips, Centennials.

What do you think about this?

Ingredients

Malt
Specialty Grains
• 1 lb Crystal 60L (~9%)
• 1/2 lb Chocolate (~4%)
Extra Stuff
Hops
• 1 oz Centennial 10% AA (60 minutes)
• 0.5 oz Cascade 5% AA (20 minutes)
• 0.5 oz Cascade 5% AA (10 minutes)
• 0.5 oz Centennial 10%AA (~7 day dry hop)
Yeast
• White Labs British Ale Yeast or Safale US-04

I'd go with .5 oz and 20 and 10 then dry hop with the other .5 oz. This is the American way. 6-8 oz American Chocolate malt and one pound of Crystal. That will give a nice chocolaty taste with the centennials tantalizing the tongue. I don't like the oak.

Could you explain the hop additions again? Do you mean I should just add 1/2oz at 20 mins to go and 10 mins to go and nothing at time zero?

Should I still add some bittering hops at the beginning of the boil?

I'm going for a strong / bitter brown ale...not too bitter, but I definitely want the hops to be a noticeable and enjoyable part of the drinking experience. At the same time, I don’t want it to be a drink only hop heads enjoy…if that makes sense.

That's a damned huge brown ale. 1.085 OG, ~54 IBU. If you insist on brewing it that strong, it'll take that much IBU to balance it (I think). It's also going to be black as the ace of spades with the original grist.

Also, depending on the source of your extract and the yeast strain you select, you could end up with a very sweet, underattenuated beer.

I'd knock back the Crystal to a pound, the Victory and Chocolate to a half-pound each. Delete the Roasted Barley entirely. Keep the hops where you had them in the original. Your BU:GU ratio at that point will be approximately 0.7:1, and that's going to be necessary to balance a beer that has little hope of finishing below 1.020.

Choose a yeast that will attenuate to 75% or more, and when managing the ferment provide optimum circumstances for the yeast to reach that point: Aerate well, pitch a little over the average rate, and keep the ferment temperature under control.

To figure out how much yeast to pitch, use The Mr Malty Calculator. It's easy! I figured an OG of 1.077 (given my adjustments). That means ~15 grams of dry yeast. Good dry yeasts, from companies like Fermentis and Danstar, come in 11g sachets. You can pitch two 11g packets of yeast and not worry about overpitching. If you use a yeast like US-05, you should have a very successful ferment and an excellent beer.

If you still intend to use a yeast like S-04, pitch one 11g packet. Then it's best to use a yeast nutrient. There are a variety of yeast nutrients on the market. The easiest to use is an old, out-of-date packet of yeast added to the boil. Often your LHBS guys will give you a couple packets of old yeast just to be rid of it; it can't hurt to ask the guy behind the counter if he's got any old yeast! ;)

If you've got a micro or brewpub in your area, it can't hurt to ask them for some yeast, either. Don't be a pest; just ask if you can bring a sanitized container to collect a pint or so of harvested yeast. It helps if you're a known, regular customer of the brewery, of course. When I brewed for a living I gave away excess yeast all the time; if I didn't I'd have to find a way to rid myself of it in an environmentally-friendly manner - the local water people had NO sense of humor about increased bioload! :D

Cheers!

Bob

That's a damned huge brown ale. 1.085 OG, ~54 IBU. If you insist on brewing it that strong, it'll take that much IBU to balance it (I think). It's also going to be black as the ace of spades with the original grist.

Also, depending on the source of your extract and the yeast strain you select, you could end up with a very sweet, underattenuated beer.

I'd knock back the Crystal to a pound, the Victory and Chocolate to a half-pound each. Delete the Roasted Barley entirely. Keep the hops where you had them in the original. Your BU:GU ratio at that point will be approximately 0.7:1, and that's going to be necessary to balance a beer that has little hope of finishing below 1.020.

Choose a yeast that will attenuate to 75% or more, and when managing the ferment provide optimum circumstances for the yeast to reach that point: Aerate well, pitch a little over the average rate, and keep the ferment temperature under control.

To figure out how much yeast to pitch, use The Mr Malty Calculator. It's easy! I figured an OG of 1.077 (given my adjustments). That means ~15 grams of dry yeast. Good dry yeasts, from companies like Fermentis and Danstar, come in 11g sachets. You can pitch two 11g packets of yeast and not worry about overpitching. If you use a yeast like US-05, you should have a very successful ferment and an excellent beer.

If you still intend to use a yeast like S-04, pitch one 11g packet. Then it's best to use a yeast nutrient. There are a variety of yeast nutrients on the market. The easiest to use is an old, out-of-date packet of yeast added to the boil. Often your LHBS guys will give you a couple packets of old yeast just to be rid of it; it can't hurt to ask the guy behind the counter if he's got any old yeast! ;)

If you've got a micro or brewpub in your area, it can't hurt to ask them for some yeast, either. Don't be a pest; just ask if you can bring a sanitized container to collect a pint or so of harvested yeast. It helps if you're a known, regular customer of the brewery, of course. When I brewed for a living I gave away excess yeast all the time; if I didn't I'd have to find a way to rid myself of it in an environmentally-friendly manner - the local water people had NO sense of humor about increased bioload! :D

Cheers!

Bob

Thanks for all that advice! You think I should keep the original hop sequence? According the beer tools and their algorithms I would be within the American Brown Ale category if I reduced my hops to:

• 3⁄4 oz Centennial 10% AA (60 minutes)
• 1⁄2 oz Cascade 5% AA (20 minutes)
• 1⁄2 oz Cascade 5% AA (0 minutes)

and even then, I am at the top of the scale. Would that be enough to balance out the malts? I am going to stick with what you said and others keep suggesting.

Malt
Specialty Grains
• 1 lb Crystal 60L (~9%)
• 1⁄2 lb Chocolate (~5%)
• 1⁄2 lb Victory (~5%)

I always find myself at stone and know a few people working there and I buy all my brewing stuff at ballast point. So, I think I will start asking about left over yeast! Never thought about that. How much of their yeast would I use? Would I just store it until its time to pitch the yeast?

If that doesn't work, how much old yeast should I throw into the boil and when?

Thanks

I'm brewing an american brown ale right now. It's great. Here's the recipe:

8.5 # Light DME
1 # Wheat DME
1.25# Dextrine Malt (Carapils)
1.25# Crystal 40
.5# Chocolate Malt

2 oz Northern Brewer at 60
1 oz Northern Brewer at 15
1.5 oz Cascade at 10
1.5 oz Cascade at 0
Dry Hop with 2 oz Centennial

Use WLP001 or similar neutral strain

I'm doing it AG so I replace the extract with 12 # 2row and 1 # wheat mashing at 155.

Thanks for all that advice! You think I should keep the original hop sequence? According the beer tools and their algorithms I would be within the American Brown Ale category if I reduced my hops to:

• 3⁄4 oz Centennial 10% AA (60 minutes)
• 1⁄2 oz Cascade 5% AA (20 minutes)
• 1⁄2 oz Cascade 5% AA (0 minutes)

and even then, I am at the top of the scale. Would that be enough to balance out the malts?

Okay, your OG is waaaaaay outside the category, so forget style. The important thing here is to brew a well-balanced beer with the flavors you want, not peg a style. You want an OG 1.077 Brown Ale? Cool. Keep the bittering rate where it's going to balance the malt.

I always find myself at stone and know a few people working there and I buy all my brewing stuff at ballast point. So, I think I will start asking about left over yeast! Never thought about that. How much of their yeast would I use? Would I just store it until its time to pitch the yeast?

The Mr Malty tool has a tab for "Slurry". Use that to figure out how much to pitch. You can store it in the 'fridge until you're ready to pitch, but don't wait too long - one week (7 days), tops. I prefer to use slurry the day after it's harvested.

If that doesn't work, how much old yeast should I throw into the boil and when?

A packet or two of old, dead yeast is sufficient, and adding it the same time you add Irish Moss will do for boiling time.

Cheers,

Bob

Okay, your OG is waaaaaay outside the category, so forget style. The important thing here is to brew a well-balanced beer with the flavors you want, not peg a style. You want an OG 1.077 Brown Ale? Cool. Keep the bittering rate where it's going to balance the malt.Bob

Will that amount hops do the balancing? How do I calculate the ratio between hops and grains?

Thanks again

NVM, I found a nice graph and scale ha.

Ingredients

Malt
• 7 lb Light DME (half mashing and half at 15)
Specialty Grains
• 1 lb Crystal 60L (~9%)
• ½ lb Chocolate (~5%)
• ½ lb Victory (~5%)
Extra Stuff
• ½ lb Dark Molasses (first boil)
Hops
• ½ oz Centennial 10-12% AA (60 minutes)
• ½ oz Cascade 5% AA (20 minutes)
• ½ oz Cascade 5% AA (0 minutes)
Yeast
• Safale US-04
• Nutrients

So, I am at approximately 28-30 IBU’s with an approximated OG of 1.064 (my brew house efficiency has been calculated so I assumed 72%). Based on these readings I have a pretty balanced beer. I just don’t know how reliable these sights are for these approximations.

You could always go back to big hop amounts and call it a Brown Ale or Indian Brown. 30 IBUs for 1.064 is pretty low bitterness, but this is a brown ale.

For comparison, I think Rogue Hazelnut Nectar is ~1.050 and 28 IBUs. That's probably higher IBUs than lots of British browns, but not outrageous.

I think the main advance so far has been reducing the specialty grains, as you did.

Ingredients

Malt
• 7 lb Light DME (half mashing and half at 15 minutes)
Specialty Grains
• 1 lb Crystal 60L (~9%)
• ½ lb Chocolate (~5%)
• ½ lb Victory (~5%)
Extra Stuff
• ½ lb Molasses (add with DME)
Hops
• ¾ oz Chinook 13% AA (60 minutes)
• ½ oz Mt. Hood 5% AA (20 minutes)
• ½ oz Mt. Hood 5% AA (10 minutes)
Yeast
• Safale US-04
• Nutrients

Ok, so I have been playing around with the hops to malt ratio for a while now, and so for this recipe has looked the best. Online calculators estimate my O.G from 1.07-1.074 and my IBU’s ranging from 35-40 (using Tinseth’s formula). According to the gravity / hops ratio graph (I found it on this site) I have a pretty balanced beer. Even taking into account the possible standard deviations I would still fall within the balanced category. I should mention also, that I have been assuming 70% efficiency since I am still a newbie when it comes to home brewing.

I added the molasses for an extra alcohol content boost. An extra lb or so of DME is too much extra money when I have molasses and dark brown sugar already. Also, as you can see I dropped the hop amount, because I want non-hop lovers to be able to enjoy it too (its still gonna be a lil hoppy)!

What you think? Go for it?

Back