Barleywine (11% ABV) aging in secondary for 7 Months - Add Yeast at Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmccague

Reaction score
Hello all,

Title says it all. Should I add yeast at bottling? or will it eventually carb up? Hoping to hand out at Christmas.

Thanks.

I brewed a barleywine in Nov 2011 (ABV 13%). Primary for 2 months, secondary on oak spirals until May of this year. At bottling time, I added (kept talking myself out of it, but did it anyway) 1 packet of Red Star Champagne yeast and the appropriate amount of priming sugar. I opened the first bottle at my Homebrew Club last night. I was perfectly carbonated and tasted wonderful. I imagine that it will be even better in another year or so (assuming it will last that long).

i had a 12% barleywine that was conditioned for 6 months and the yeast did not survive that long. about 5 months after bottling, zero carbonation. adding more yeast isnt a bad idea, and if i ever bottle a barleywine again that is what i will do. force carbonating is so much easier though...

I would add more yeast too. Just go for a nice neutral strain and it doesnt take much. Their only job is to cough up enough CO2 for carbonation.

How much should i add, half a packet?

Also, how should I add it? Rehydrate and lightly stir into bottling bucket just like corn sugar?

Thanks!

I would just all a whole pack of like safale 04 or 05. I believe 04 is more flocculant. You should rehydrate it (with pre-boiled and cooled ~80F) before you put it in the bucket as the alcohol in the beer can shock and/or kill it. I like to put it in before I start racking so it gets mixed as it fills.

Well, I would maybe used something else than us05 or s04 in your case. 11% is about their maximal resistance. To take them directly in a 11% alcool liquid, it might be such a shock for them. I would maybe use, at least the s33 or t58, that are better for high ABV, or go with a strong belgian yeast. You won't have enough fermentation for them to add flavors, and you'll be sure they survive the shock.

what yeast did you use for primary and what is your FG? Big beers can take a long time to carb. if the bottling yeast in more attenuative you could end up with bottle bombs.

Yup, 7 months is right around when I would start thinking about more yeast. My recent barleywine was 6mo in the secondary and I added some US-05 and they seem to be coming right along, carbonation wise.

Actually that is a good point about the 11%. If you pitch dry yeast in there it will probably immediatly kill it. Might consider making a starter of like wlp 1 or something like that and pitching that in a bottling.

Just asking...in prevention for that, may bottle sooner be an option? Just let it age in bottle.

I brewed a black barley wine 3 weeks ago, and it's around 11-12% now. I'm then now myself concerned by this question

I had made a huge starter of powerful belgian yeast.
If I add yeast to the bottling, it will have to be a big belgian again, or a champagne yeast or something like that.

Since I will be bottling a bit less than 3gal, I guess it would not need a lot of yest (maybe 1/4 or less of a vial...). I should plan to bottle few days before brewing a belgian and use the remain of the vial to make a starter.

I did a Barleywine Aug 2011. WLP001 was used to ferment. Bottled Feb 2012 using 4oz priming sugar and 1 packet of dry brewers yeast. I forget the brand but it worked fine just took some time. Next time I'll rehydrate or save some WLP001 slurry for repitching.

Latest posts

Back