Thomas Creek- Up the Creek Extreme IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfisherwes

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with a recipe for making this? All of the ingredients are listed on their website -

http://www.thomascreekbeer.com/beer.html

Just roll your mouse over the bottle on the far left.

I don't know much about mash temp and such yet. I also don't know how to pick an OG. I know percentages of grain aren't listed so this is difficult, not to mention that most people probably haven't tasted it. I don't expect a miracle of an answer. I would just like someone more experienced than me to point me in the right direction so I don't fail hard to start with.

Thanks!

Alas I'm at work and don't have BeerTools in front of me, but here's some ideas I have:

"mashed at a low temperature to increase the amount of fermentable sugars"
To me, this would mean ~148F.

For OG, 12.5% is pretty ridiculous. And being so high, it's hard to get FG down to really low levels. If we pick FG at 1.016 (which is pretty low for a IIPA, especially one this big), that would mean OG has to be 1.100!

Otherwise, malts are generally listed from higher to lower amounts. Obviously you'll have mostly 2-row, but have more Crystal 20L than Special B than Crystal 120L. Matching color will reign in the Special B and 120L amounts.
If you have some brewing software, just play around with numbers until you hit something that looks reasonable and comparable.

Hope this helps!

Alas I'm at work and don't have BeerTools in front of me, but here's some ideas I have:

"mashed at a low temperature to increase the amount of fermentable sugars"
To me, this would mean ~148F.

For OG, 12.5% is pretty ridiculous. And being so high, it's hard to get FG down to really low levels. If we pick FG at 1.016 (which is pretty low for a IIPA, especially one this big), that would mean OG has to be 1.100!

Otherwise, malts are generally listed from higher to lower amounts. Obviously you'll have mostly 2-row, but have more Crystal 20L than Special B than Crystal 120L. Matching color will reign in the Special B and 120L amounts.
If you have some brewing software, just play around with numbers until you hit something that looks reasonable and comparable.

Hope this helps!

Is that gonna be doable with any kind of normal yeast? like wlp001?

I think so, as long as your starter is f'ing huge.

If you have to grab yeast anyway, might want to use Wyeast Pacman or White Labs San Diego Super Yeast as they are both supposed to be fermenting monsters (never used either myself though).

This is a candidate for me to make in a 2 gallon batch. I do BIAB so I cant get all that grain in and out of a kettle for a 5 gallon. Plus at 12.5% I'd kill myself with 5 gallons.

Anyone make any progress on this? I emailed TC and they wont share any other info other than what's on their site. :(

Back