First Stout FG not where it should be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chemkreation

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am fairly new to home brewing (6 months) and I decided to make my first stout.

The recipe I used is a clone of the Southern Tier Creme Brulee. My OG was 1.096 - pitched at 72 degrees. After 8 days all signs of fermentation have stopped. Its gravity at this point is only 1.066 (68 degrees). Should I let it sit longer or is this as good as it will get?

Recipe Used: Ingredients for Southern Tier Creme Brulee

OG=1.106
FG=1.033
IBU=65
SRM=55
ABV=9.6%

Malt Bill
9.9 lbs (4.5kg) Briess light, unhopped, liquid malt extract
0.5 lbs (0.23kg) Dried malt extract
1.5 lbs (0.68kg) 2-Rom pale malt
1.5 lbs (0.68kg) flaked barley
1.5 lbs (0.68kg) Belgian black malt (600degrees L)
10 oz. (0.28kg) lactose (milk sugar)
*** 12 oz. (0.34kg) caramelized white cane sugar (last 2 min.)

Hops
1 oz. Columbus 14.5 AAU (0 min into boil) - Bittering
0.75 oz. Chinook 9.2 AAU (30 min into boil) - Mid

Special
3 Vanilla Beans (Split and deseeded)
1 tsp. Ground Cardamom Powder
1/2 tsp. yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp Irish Moss

Yeast
1 vial White Labs WLP007 (Dry English Ale)

Thank you for your time.

Stout = long fermentation (about 2 months minimum) and patience. A lot of stouts take upwards of 6 months of fermentation and conditioning before they are ready to drink.

I wouldn't move it, that yeast has a way to go yet. Did you do a starter for this beer? If not looks like you underpitched.

I did not do a starter...I just simply dumped the vial in. :(

Ouch. For that beer with an OG of near 1.100, without a starter you probably needed 8 packages of yeast.

Let it be for now, and check it in about 5 days to see if it's getting lower. If not, you can repitch but repitching will be tricky since you're already at over 5% ABV.

Ouch. For that beer with an OG of near 1.100, without a starter you probably needed 8 packages of yeast.

Let it be for now, and check it in about 5 days to see if it's getting lower. If not, you can repitch but repitching will be tricky since you're already at over 5% ABV.

Should I do a 2L starter on the Repitching?

I would take Yooper advice and let it sit for another week to give what yeast you have time to work. If the gravity hasn't changed then repitch with a 2L starter.

Back