Hmm, Oktoberfest quick fermentation, time to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Improv241

Reaction score
So it looks like my oktoberfest finished fermenting after 3 days. So a question to the masses:

I was skeptical that it had finished so quickly (only 3rd brew) so I let it set for another week.

Now it's on 1.5 weeks in the primary.

If I take the the FG and it's done, should I go ahead and bottle? Or do I need to let it sit longer?

I'm don't mind moving into a secondary, but I question whether its necessary because everything is already settled... I know there is a long standing debate on whether or not secondary is even worth it (as for me, this is for consumption, not competitions - and i'm not concerned about clarity).

TIA!

If you hadn't taken a gravity reading, then how did you ascertain that your beer was finished in three days. I hope you didn't go by airlock bubbling stopping as a clue. Because it isn't.

haven't taken the FG yet. This is a hypothetical question - if my FG says I'm done, should I go ahead and bottle?

even if you've hit your FG, you still have acetaldehyde that the yeast need to clean up. You did a good thing in waiting.

Always look for a stable FG over 2-3 days to make sure it's done. Regardless of how long that takes. Then give it 3-5 days to clean up & settle out more before priming & bottling.

Great, a quick update. I moved it over into the secondary anyways. Figured with this style that clearing is a little more important and i don't want it sitting in the old yeast.

My FG was 1.008 when the recipe called for 1.010, so looks like the yeast just went really fast...

Back