Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Croûte de Pécan Bière (A Pecan Pie Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoZzyFresh

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast #1332 NW Ale
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7-9 days 64-68 degrees F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7-9 days 64-68 degrees F
Tasting Notes
Rich taste, slightly dry, like drinking a pecan pie when warmed a bit.
:mug:DO NOT DRINK THIS BEER ICE COLD. Gets better as it sits after secondary (i give it 2 weeks maturation time). You may want to add a little carapils for better head retention. Also, bringing the brown sugar down a bit will probably cut the dry alcohol edge off. Add 2 cap-fulls venetian vanilla extract to secondary as well as 1lb candied pecans (slightly broken) You will need to rack twice in order to get out all sediment. If kegging first 3 pints will be cloudy. Enjoy!

Mash Temp- 154 degrees F for 60 mins
raise to 171 then mash out
1 hour sparge

16lb- US 2 row
8lb- Gambrinus Honey Malt
5lb- Cara 40L
1lb- Munich 20L
1lb- Brown Sugar (start of Boil)
10oz- Molasses (end of boil)

1oz- Magnum (60mins)
1- Whirfloc (15 min from end)
4oz- German Tett (10 min from end)

Wowza, that's alot of honey malt! Sounds interesting though and I'd really like to try it. Unfortunately, something like this I have such a hard time committing myself to 5 gallons.

Well I committed myself to 10 gallons this weekend... split it into 2 batches of 5 and pitched different yeasts into each batch.

My basement's 69 degrees, so I'm hoping that's ok to ferment at. I placed my fermenters directly underneath an AC vent that's normally closed (I opened it) so that my drop the temp a few degrees.

I knocked 3# of 2-row off because the brewing software said it was too malty. I like a little more hops so I split the Tettnang 2oz. for 20 mins, and the other 2oz. at 10. I'm guessing that wasn't too big of a deviation.

Back