what variety to dry hop with???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aksea102

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am about to order NB's Sinistral Warrior IPA, but would like to dry hop it. As a new brewer, I am really not able to distinguish the specific differences between all of the hop varieties...yet! Nor do I know which variety would be best for dry hopping when (in this case) the kit comes with a varitey of hops. What I do know is that I love hops, and I love this hobby!!
Hoping some of your seasoned palates may be able to help me decide on a variety that would add some awesome! to the flavor of the following recipe. And maybe even why you think so??
Thanks!

12 oz. Briess Caramel 40
4 oz. Briess Caramel 80
3.15 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup (boil for 60 min.)
6 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup (boil for 15 min.)
1 oz. Yakima Magnum (60 min)
1 oz. Centennial (15 min)
1 oz. Cascade (15 min)
2 oz. Warrior (0 min)

dry hop????

I have a pale ale fermenting away and I plan to dry hop it with an oz or two of amarillo hops. This recipe is the first I have made using amarillo hops, so I don't have any experience with them, but I have heard nothing but good things. The pellets smelled slightly of peaches/apricots. Interesting! I can't wait to sample the final product.

I suggest reading a hop characteristc chart to determine what it is you are exactly looking for in a flavoring/aroma hop.

Dry hopping is really only going to add to the aroma.

Bull

I almost always dry hop with the same hops that I finish with.... but I'm not familiar with warrior in your case.

My favorites are the ever popular cascade and centennial.

I'm with everyone else here, cascade and centennial are my favorite hops to dry hop with. Willamette hops are also very good for dry hopping.

In general you don't want to dry hop with hops that have super high AA.

I just tapped a keg of a Pale Ale that I dry hopped with 1.5oz of Simcoe. Smells awesome. I also had some late hop additions with a couple other varieties.

Back