Yeast Vial Gusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewsBrew

Reaction score
I was about to pitch my vial of WL400 Belgian wit yeast and shook it vigorously just like the previous times. This one gushed like a shaken bottle of soda. It was all over the place. I don't know how much I lost but I pitched the rest and am praying its enough.

Is this common? Out of 4 batches so far, this is the first time I've seen this with a vial of pitchable yeast.

Um, yes. It is very common apparently. Now, I shake to mix, let it set for a few seconds, and open it very slowly to release the pressure.

I actually had to use a package of dry yeast when this happened to me- as I watched $8 of yeast spray all over my kitchen.

This happened to me on my last batch. I made a starter with the rest of it. My beer turned out fine.

Just to point out - you should be making starters with liquid yeast. Pitching what's in the tube is rarely enough viable cells to ensure a healthy fermentation.

Yep, that'll happen. I usually shake it fairly vigorously when I first take it out of the refrigerator and set it aside. Then, just before pitching, I gently resuspend the pellet and carefully remove the cap.

I also recommend pitching into a starter first.

TL

I have only had 1 of 10 or so blow up on me. I let the vial rest ater I shake, pour off half, then shake again.
Do try a starter, I think it has improved the taste of my beers. I guess the yeast don't have to work as hard!

I shook a starter that blew all over my kitchen, you should have seen the look on my SWMBO's face. It turned out great, though, and I was able to clean the mess.

Used to happen a lot when Micheal picked up the yeast on his GS1100. :rockin: Had a smac pac explode once, that was impressive.

Yep. Happened on my first real recipe beer and it has been the worst one I've made yet. I've conviced myself that only pitching half a vial ruined my beer. (The rest was on the floor, my shirt, the walls etc.:mad: ) I feel your pain.

Like the others said. Go with starters. My beer quality went way up when I started using starters.

Regards,
Al

GIusedtoBe said:
Yep. Happened on my first real recipe beer and it has been the worst one I've made yet. I've conviced myself that only pitching half a vial ruined my beer. (The rest was on the floor, my shirt, the walls etc.:mad: ) I feel your pain.

Like the others said. Go with starters. My beer quality went way up when I started using starters.

Regards,
Al

That's why when they gush, they should gush into our starters!

PseudoChef said:
Just to point out - you should be making starters with liquid yeast. Pitching what's in the tube is rarely enough viable cells to ensure a healthy fermentation.

+1. Fermentation takes forever with one vial. Brew two batches in sequence and take advantage of the yeast cake, or make starters...but...one vial is never enough.

Back