Too high mash in temp!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigpen

Reaction score
Yesterday I Made my favorite oatmeal stout.Had a buddy helping me heating my mash/tunn preheat water,Mash,and sparge water.Will never do it again! :mad: I will do it myself for now on.I told him a dozen times how important temps are in this hobby but it just doesnt sink in his head.With the brew system i use,I like to mash in at 155deg,that way i can adjust temp easily and fast if needed.So i preheat my mash/cooler to about 166 to 168.Usually its right on.Not this time.He preheated the cooler to 175.Made my mash temp go to 162. With the grain bill i had there was hardly any room for extra cooling water.But after about 15- 20 min,I got it down to 158.Im wondering if i passed up starch conversion completely.Im sure i got a less fermentable wort out of this and my ph was raised.I expected a higher og then 1.056 w/27 lb grain bill. I know how to prevent this again,but anybody think I will get any funky flavors from this high mash temp?

I'd bet not so 'bad' as just 'different' than you expected. Hey, If things were REALLLY critical, beer would never have been invented.

Zip locks full of ice don't dilute the mash.

Remember to post how it tastes in about 6 weeks, OK?

you'll just have a more dextrinous wort, and a brew with extra body. i call it chewy :~) it'll taste fine.

Ya! it will be fine.Hope its not too chewy though!What a joy owning those fermentors. No more plastic buckets w/ bacteria, or glass carboys.Awsome!!

Latest posts

Back