I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heh Bobbi, I've downed a few just to make bottles and this is my first day here.
Sounds not like a drunken rambling but a call out for help.
Godspeed to what needs to happen!

I'm a barebones rocker but these old tunes are still good for the soul.
I'll get the actual embedding going when I figure it out but for now here is another one:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I got some wort canning away. I'll be listening to the soothing sound of the jiggler for the rest of the evening. Got 3 runs to do. I've got two large canners. One has a jigger and one has a gauge. I like the guage so much better.

Heh...I got it this time, somehow.

So, what am I drinking?
Samuel Adams Winter Classics.
Really just to get the bottles for my brews.
Boston Lager gives me headaches, which is RARE.
But I like the Fezzwig, and the White Christmas is outstanding.
I think I taste a bit of ginger in it?

Mrs. Cygnus can have the Chocolate...blech.
Edit, even she says it's like drinking cough syrup.

So might as well tell the long boring story of the Cygnus handle.
Wait, I have to refill.

This is the sound of my soul.... A cry out for help. Yes, that's what it is. Miracle, the powers that be, help us now. Hubby must get better. He must because I can't do this without him.

This is the sound... of my soul..... Come home baby, I need you.

Well, I got some wort canning away. I'll be listening to the soothing sound of the jiggler for the rest of the evening. Got 3 runs to do. I've got two large canners. One has a jigger and one has a gauge. I like the guage so much better.

Wife said something about your avatar.
Like she had that one.

I know this is not true, for hers was a definite fuscia (hot pink) color!

I have proof.

:drunk:

Alrighty. now for the Cygnus story.

Wait.
Brew is poured but the cigar needs to be clipped and started.

Hold on a minute.
It's a Rocky Patel.

Hello BobbiLynn. I like where your spirit is right now. Rock on and stay strong, Sis!

Made some cheese and bread dough tonight for a little SuperBowl party tomorrow. We''ll make pizza with the dough and use the fresh cheese. I won't say it is the best pizza ever but does beat take out, by a long shot.

Adding a photo. Of the cheese I made today. The one hanging in the bag off the cupboard knob is about a pound of Ricotta (it's sort of a by-product from making mozzrella.. don't know what I'm going to do with it) The white-ish round mass next to it is mozzarella. I'm waiting on the mail for some starters and cheese molds, then going to make up some cheddar. Age till Christmas. Should be pretty nice. :D

photo-19-58415.jpg

Yes much like cottage cheese just a little drier I believe. The only thing I can think of using it for is lasagna. I'm sure there are other uses that I just don't know about.

Ricotta is Great!
Too many people sub cottage cheese or other weirdness where ricotta is a hearty
staple of dishes like lasagna or similar.
It is mild like mozzarella but with many foods (and beer), it is the texture that makes the real difference.
Cottage is too soft on the palette, it does not provide the fullness needed to compete with the garlic and onion
that we cook with the beef (or lamb).
To me the dish falls apart without the hearty ricotta.

Cooking with Italian sausage for manicotti is another great use for it.
Or hearty ravioli.
I said "hearty" too much.
Well, I guess I mean it.

Cygnus, any suggestions on what I do with it? Lasagna aside.

Edit: Sorry Cygnus, you did give other suggestions. I must have read your post to quickly. You a chef?

Put it on a bed of lettuce, salt and pepper. Eat up. It will be delicious.

Almost ready for the Cygnus story.
By the time I tell it, you all should be either heading for the door, the restroom, or catching up on sleep for the upcoming Stuporbowl.

Almost ready for the Cygnus story.
By the time I tell it, you all should be either heading for the door, the restroom, or catching up on sleep for the upcoming Stuporbowl.

Must hear Cygnus story..... Waiting....

Put it on a bed of lettuce, salt and pepper. Eat up. It will be delicious.

That's good!

Manicotti is just about like lasagna.
Prepare your favorite Italian sausage in your favorite sauce.
Detiails for me are to boil it gently, then smoke it on the grille (as I do other things on the grille) to give it a hickory snap.
Mrs. Cygnus does her magic with the manicotti (I'm not privy to the details but I know it involves garlic and herbal olive oils).
Then she layers the deal and bakes it.
Seasoning as a casserole like lasagna, and the next day or two it is done.
It's one dish aside from her lasagna I would follow a battle for and fight to get it.
Too bad I don't know all of her details...and no she is not of Italian heritage.
She learned it second hand from my mother, who also not Italian but knew one very well!
Oddest thing is my mother was gone before my bride knew her.
I was only the guide for taste and texture.
She nailed it and remembered what it took to get there.

They do make a difference ABG. I put a patio brick in my oven, 16" x 16" and heat that sucker up to the highest oven setting 500 degrees. (I've never measure so not sure it actually gets that hot or maybe even hotter)

Slide the pizza in and bake for about 10 minutes. I use this pizza paddle I made around 15 years ago.
pizza-paddle-58416.jpg

Dang that was easy to brew. weighed the stuff and dumped it into boiling water and then hit the hop schedule. 2 hours including the clean up and boil

I cannot believe that I have never done a brew like that before

Dang that was easy to brew. weighed the stuff and dumped it into boiling water and then hit the hop schedule. 2 hours including the clean up and boil

Tell me all your secrets...

And don't get my opinion wrong.
Cottage cheese does taste like ricotta.
The difference is in the texture, and how ricotta holds up to the casserole process.

That's good!

Manicotti is just about like lasagna.
Prepare your favorite Italian sausage in your favorite sauce.
Detiails for me are to boil it gently, then smoke it on the grille (as I do other things on the grille) to give it a hickory snap.
Mrs. Cygnus does her magic with the manicotti (I'm not privy to the details but I know it involves garlic and herbal olive oils).
Then she layers the deal and bakes it.
Seasoning as a casserole like lasagna, and the next day or two it is done.
It's one dish aside from her lasagna I would follow a battle for and fight to get it.
Too bad I don't know all of her details...and no she is not of Italian heritage.
She learned it second hand from my mother, who also not Italian but knew one very well!
Oddest thing is my mother was gone before my bride knew her.
I was only the guide for taste and texture.
She nailed it and remembered what it took to get there.

This is just about one of the most awesome post I've ever read on HBT. Not exactly sure why. You do remind me of somebody here who is highly thought of. Welcome to HBT Cygnus and to this crazy thread! :mug:

Wait, I missed something here.
What did I miss?

This is just about one of the most awesome post I've ever read on HBT. Not exactly sure why. You do remind me of somebody here who is highly thought of. Welcome to HBT Cygnus and to this crazy thread! :mug:

Heh, and thanks.
Just passing along what I know, and mostly what I don't know and have to learn!
I've been around some wonderful women in my life!

:mug:

It was a extract brew. And super simple to boot. All grain takes me about 5 hours but this thing was super fast and super easy to clean up.

Time will tell how it tastes of course.

Ahh, extract brew, so simple.... Can be nice with some ricotta and a bed of lettuce, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Getting really hungry now.

It was a extract brew. And super simple to boot. All grain takes me about 5 hours but this thing was super fast and super easy to clean up.

Time will tell how it tastes of course.

You are just now discovering extract brewing? Going a little backwards there buddy. You will see how it tastes, okay beer but not the same.

Ahh, extract brew, so simple.... Can be nice with some ricotta and a bed of lettuce, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Getting really hungry now.

Wow! I can see your mind is focused. Replied to V-man's brew day and started talking about ricotta and lettuce. :mug:

I'm really enjoying your positivity right now Sis! Stay strong! :fro:

You are just now discovering extract brewing? Going a little backwards there buddy. You will see how it tastes, okay beer but not the same.

Tonight I broke my virginity with extract. I tell you I was really worried about it at first but dang it was easy.

Will I quit all grain well no not likely since I can drink more beer doing a all grain:ban:

A friend of mine bought a mr beer thing and wanted to have me help him brew it. I got some extract stuff and shared some of my hops with him. I took 2 hours from start to finish to brew that thing up

It will be good, not the best you ever made, but will be good. Your friend will want to learn more.

It will be good, not the best you ever made, but will be good. Your friend will want to learn more.

He has been drinking my beer now forever and wants to try and make his own. He thought I was doing extract beer all the time.

Heck I had 5 people here seeing how to brew extract beer. I told them I do all grain and showed them the grain mill and all but no they all wanted to do extract.

Tis cool though we drank beer and talked about groovy stuff

Wow! I can see your mind is focused. Replied to V-man's brew day and started talking about ricotta and lettuce. :mug:

I'm really enjoying your positivity right now Sis! Stay strong! :fro:

Hey there, Danny, I love you. Like the brother I never had. 3 sisters. ;)

Yes much like cottage cheese just a little drier I believe. The only thing I can think of using it for is lasagna. I'm sure there are other uses that I just don't know about.

Ricotta is Great!
Too many people sub cottage cheese or other weirdness where ricotta is a hearty
staple of dishes like lasagna or similar.
It is mild like mozzarella but with many foods (and beer), it is the texture that makes the real difference.
Cottage is too soft on the palette, it does not provide the fullness needed to compete with the garlic and onion
that we cook with the beef (or lamb).
To me the dish falls apart without the hearty ricotta.

Cooking with Italian sausage for manicotti is another great use for it.
Or hearty ravioli.
I said "hearty" too much.
Well, I guess I mean it.
Yup, great on salad. I like to mix it with some herbs and mozzarella for stuffed manicotti.

I usually make my ricotta from soured milk, so the extra lactic acid gives it a little bit more zing and savor for that matter. It does stand up to strong flavors a lot better then cottage cheese... Or, mine does anyway. :)

That reminds me, I've got some milk in the fridge that may be about right for ricotta. I'll probably be making some tomorrow.

Back