2 Bottles, Same Batch, Why so Different?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigemadrid

Reaction score
I just (very eagerly) cracked open the first bottle from a batch of Barley Wine i brewed up. I know this style of beer should be aging for quite some time before drinking - this has only been in bottles about 6 weeks, but nonetheless I wanted to try it relatively young. So I popped one open, and to my disappointment, it was completely flat - no carbonation AT ALL, zero head obviously as part of that ... and VERY cloudy. All very odd, I have brewed 25+ batches now and have never had a beer so cloudy or even close. Have never had a beer so flat after 5 weeks either.

Immediately i grabbed another bottle and popped it open. Nice carbonation. Nice head. Clear as any beer I've ever drank.

SO, What gives?!?! I'm submitting this beer for a competition, and now I'm on edge. I've held many bottles up to the light and they are very clear with a slight amount of sediment at the bottom. I held the rest of the 22 from the first bottle up to the light and it's definitely cloudy without much sediment on the bottom at all.

Any ideas? Did i have a bottle not properly sealed perhaps?

my guess is that the first one was not sealed properly is why it was not carbed

did you refridge both the same amount of time? i know that if you dont cool them long enough it wont settle as well.

i would try another to see about carb and maybe just the first was not sealed properly

Is there any chance all of the bottles want sterile the same?

I'm just kind of reaching here, but if it weren't the only one bottle that was so off I would think infection so possibly an infection from one of the bottles not being as clean?

Having one cap that wasn't sealed well make sense also.

thanks for the input - will keep tabs on this and try a few more bottles to see how it turned out. won't be able to try them as often as i'd like since this beer needs to age. I'd be real surprised if one of the bottles wasn't cleaned enough - seems like even then it'd still be carbonated just nasty tasting/smelling. I think we're on to something with the bottle not being sealed well enough though

Back