Sierra Nevada Pale Ale worship

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iambeer

Reaction score
I've had SNPA since I was a teenager. But now, I have a new appreciation for it. I recently found out that they bottle condition their pale ale in bottoles. I could not believe it--how cool is that? I checked the bottom of a bottle and sure enough there it was, a thin layer of yeast. I went to their website FAQ and it says they add fermentables and yeast to their bottles, presumably after a good filtration process. Wow, they are so cool. Do ya'll think they use the same yeast or another yeast? In my mind SN and Sam Adams provide the North American standard for mass produced beer. :mug:

I'm looking at this is I'm doing a SNPA clone which is almost done fermenting. Very excited.

Well, a newbie post would not be complete without a question, so here it is: Can you condition in a can? Does anyone condition in a can?

Sierra Nevada conditions their pale ale in the can. :D

snpalealelabelcc.jpg

1. They probably use the same yeast strain to condition the bottles.

2. I'd assume you could condition in a can, but bottle cappers are very inexpensive compared to a canning line.

3. A fun fact for you. Did you know that the recipe for SNPA is different for the bottles and draft!? The draft version is a little bit lighter than the bottled version.

I would assume you can condition in just about anything as long as you have active yeast...

Oh and you worship the wrong beer... we cannot be friends... (so how do I add one of thos silly smiley faces here... HA)

DPB

canned conditioned. amazing!!

Actually, what really rebooted me into SNPA was a draft version of it. So good.

DPBISME, I'm not exclusive on beer worship (actually, just about any beer that is sitting in front of me at a certain point in time). I believe in the whole pantheon of beers; they are not jealous gods.

Another detail I forgot to mention is that I did not know this, but when buying SNPA, you have to keep in the fridge for at least two days for the carbonation to really come alive! Only now am I putting it together that the reason for this is that it's bottle conditioned! Amazing!

I'm with you IAM - SNPA is my all time favorite American beer, good in any season with any kind of food that I would drink beer with. It's da bomb! In fact about the only time I don't like it is tailgating at the Redskins games because you really can't drink it out of the bottle!

I just made a thread on looking for guidance as a first time homebrew wannabe . Can't buy SNPA anywhere near me, but love it ooooooh so much. Would love to know experiences you had with doing your clone.

Jwood said:
1. They probably use the same yeast strain to condition the bottles.

Lots of beers are bottle conditioned, which IS cool.

One note I came across while researching harvesting yeast from the bottles is that often beer is filtered and new yeast is added. The new yeast is often different from the original. I don't have any statistics, but you can't count on the yeast being the same.

If you aren't harvesting from the bottle to clone and you just like the idea, this information is irrelevant. Cheers.

Lots of beers are bottle conditioned, which IS cool.

One note I came across while researching harvesting yeast from the bottles is that often beer is filtered and new yeast is added. The new yeast is often different from the original. I don't have any statistics, but you can't count on the yeast being the same.

If you aren't harvesting from the bottle to clone and you just like the idea, this information is irrelevant. Cheers.

This. Many breweries go through painstaking labors to keep their house yeast pure and viable and proprietary thus using a different yeast for bottle conditioning to keep competitors away from their wares.

Some breweries don't care and will just give their house yeast away.

Impossible to say but an answer may be just an email away.

Back