Homebrew Clubs in Louisville?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There aren't a lot of craft breweries in the Louisville area from what I can tell. Any reason for that? Or is it issues from the whole "dry" counties stuff? I lived in KY from 1993-2004, and contemplating a move back...

Bigirishape, that's something I've noticed as well. Living on the other end of I-65, I travel to the Lexington/Frankfort areas for work, and to Nashville some for fun. There is definitely a big gap in the industry in Kentucky.

I would suspect politics have played a huge, if not quiet, role in this fact. When I was making wine and trying to buy different styles over the Internet, I quickly found that no one could ship it to KY, due in large part to legislation in place to protect the Bourbon industry. It seems that "foreign" wine is a threat to KY's unique product, and it is illegal to ship alcohol not produced in Kentucky, to Kentucky.

In that same vein, I would suspect that it is very difficult to establish a craft brewery in Kentucky because it creates competition for the Bourbon folks. Maybe someone who has done the initial research can weigh in here, but this is just my $.02.

I guess the bourbon industry would have some interest in "protecting" their industry, but it is two ends of the spectrum. Plus, I've seen some pretty amazing Beer, Bourbon and BBQ Festivals around. And Brewers love picking up used bourbon barrels. It seems like a nice symbiotic relationship to me. Plus whether the beer is crafted in-state or not, they still have to compete with beer. It makes sense, but it would definitely be one of those "open your damn eyes" moments IMO

Jimmy hit most of the high points as to why the number of craft/smaller breweries is smaller in KY than others. He did miss one important part of the equation however, KY is a three tier state. Yet another hurdle keeping the small guy from being able to get going.

KRS 243.157 sets the definition for a microbrewery (up to 25,000 barrels a year). It also states a microbrewery can "Sell malt beverages produced on the premises of the microbrewery to licensed distributors." So while there is a definition of a small(er) brewery, they are still bound to the three tier system.

You'll be surprised to find that while KY is a three tier state, they have been nice to the wine industry and do have a small farm winery classification (up to 50,000 gallons a year) that allows them to do all the things small time brewers would like to do. Check out KRS 243.155 for info on the small farm winery.

Back