Bravo SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waddsworth

Reaction score
Thoughts on this 5 gallon batch? Anyone use Bravo before?

SG 1.065
IBU 50.7
SRM 6.4

11.5 lbs Maris Otter

0.50 oz Bravo 60 min.
1.00 oz Bravo 15 min.
1.25 oz Bravo 2 min.
1.50 oz Bravo F.O.
2.00 oz Bravo DH

Wyeast 1272

Mash @ 154 60 mins.

Did you ever make this? Founders made a Bravo IPA and it was hands down the best IPA I've ever had. I say this with an absolutely straight face. No nonsense. No hyperbole.

I have had very good results using Maris Otter as a SMaSH malt. I am currently drinking a SMaSH that was 10 lbs of MO, got a 1.065 og. I used 1 ounce of Columbus 13.9 at each addition of 60, 10, 5, and whirlpool (flame-out). I wish I had used more hops at late additions, this is lacking aroma. I did not dry hop. Your late additions should be adequate. Even with a SMaSH malt bill, I am getting good head retention and lace. Not sure if that is the malt or the high alpha hops and their reputation for head retention.

I've never used Bravo, but have read good things about that hop. Can you give me a few other commercial examples that exploit that hop so we can learn more about it? Is there a reason you are going with that one?

I have two SMaSH beers on tap now (both were Maris Otter - same hop amounts and schedule - Columbus on one and Willamette the other) and may do two more before I brew anything else. You can't go wrong with Maris Otter pale malt. It may become my base malt for all future beers. Certainly will be SMaSHing with it again.

SMaSH brewing is a great way to showcase a hop. I'd go with more at 60, perhaps as much as one ounce.

I agree with Maris Otter being a great base malt. I have switched my Pale Ale recipes to include Maris Otter instead of 2-Row. My Maris Otter / EKG SMaSH and Simcoe/Amarillo Pale Ale are delicious.

Dang, sorry I committed one of my own pet peeves - posting recipes to HBT and not following up.

This beer did not turn out well. Brew day went without a hitch. Ferm temps were kept in check. So I don't know if the culprit was the hops, hop schedule, MO, or mash temp - maybe 154 is too high? I still have a bunch of Bravo, so I might try again with 2-row or one of my other IPA grain bills scaled down to a 3 gallon batch.

What was the disappointment? Attenuation? Balance? Hop character in general?

I *JUST* finished a Al-Bravo "Pacific Mild Ale" (not a Smash). It was delicious, but the hop aroma/flavor was a little bit on the light side.

Here's how it was, for 10.5 gallons:

10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 80.77 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
0.75 oz Bravo [16.50 %] (60 min) Hops 24.3 IBU
1.00 oz Bravo [16.50 %] (15 min) Hops 16.1 IBU
1.00 oz Bravo [16.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) [Starter 2000 ml] [Cultured] Yeast-Ale

2.00 oz Bravo [16.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops (each keg has 1.0oz Bravo)

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.036 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.03 %

I just tapped a bravo pale ale similar to the above recipe except higher gravity, no dry hop, and used wlp002. It has a nice bitterness and I agree above poster with aroma and flavor being light. Im getting mostly earthiness and maybe a slight apricot flavor. Definitely a great, cheap bittering hop but cant find anything else I would use this for.

Back