Any problems with brand new corny kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to pickup some 3 gallon kegs and since the prices are so high for the used ones I thought I might buy new. I've always bought used kegs.

Is the quality the same for the new kegs? Are there any manufacturers I should avoid? Are parts interchangeable?

I was looking at a site selling new 5ers for $99. Sounds like a solid deal. The new ones all seem to have no rubber on top and only one handed handle. People like them.

I received a brand new 3 gallon keg as a gift recently and its really good quality and fits perfect in our home fridge with c02 tank. Its not as intrusive as i thought. I figured the wife would get tired of seeing it in there and buy me a dedicated fridge.

I've been getting mine (brand new) from Rebel Brewer, since they have a pretty consistent good rate on them (less than others are selling used ones for). From what I've heard, there's basically one manufacturer these days, so not much choice. With the 2.5 and 3 gallon sizes, a single handle is just fine.

BTW, the LHBS I usually shop at (when I go to a HBS) normally sells used 2.5 and 3 gallon corny kegs for over $100 (more like $150)... Hence the reason I simply get brand new ones. Shipping on two from Rebel is about $13...

I am seeing used kegs for $50 vs $120 for new, still seems like a better deal to used when they serve the same function.

I am seeing used kegs for $50 vs $120 for new, still seems like a better deal to used when they serve the same function.

WHERE are you finding used 3 gallon corny kegs for $50????? Tell me, I want to know since the absolute cheapest I've found (used) is over $100. Rebel has about the best price I've found (from a vendor with a great reputation and maintains it for all) at $99.95... If I order two, shipping comes to just over $13 for the pair. I usually order two at a time now, when I need them. I'll probably need to order a pair soon, since i doubt I'll have two empty in time to keg the current batch (about two weeks out from getting kegged).

I managed to get 2 3 gallon kegs for $70 each on ebay a few months ago, but they were pretty beat up. That's the cheapest I've seen them.

I've seen new for $99. I'm considering getting a few of those. Just want to make sure I'm not buying something I'll regret later.

The ones from Rebel are excellent. No issues, at all, with them. The ones I get from them even come with a bit of pressure in them, so I believe they even pressure test them before shipping. Or the factory does. With how many I have now, most from Rebel, if there was an issue, I [probably] would have come across it.

Thanks for the input on this. I ended up going with the $99 kegs from Rebel Brewer. I've always had good experiences buying from them. Plus, knowing them, it will be here in a day or 2.

I suspect I'll be ordering a pair (from Rebel) before the start of next week, so that I have two empty kegs for the following Saturday. Or for when I keg the batch that's in primary now.

i didn't get mine from rebel, but the same brand is basically the only brand as somebody mentioned above.. can't complain at all.. after getting a couple used ones with dents and dings that never wanted to seal correctly i just get new ones from now on.. i have 2 and figured the investment is worth it since they'll last my lifetime if i take good care of them.. couldn't be happier, especially since they are both filled at the moment ;-)

I picked up my 3 used 3 gallons for $135.

My buddy has a new keg and has zero issues with it, I will probably get new kegs if I need any new ones in the future

Got my new 3 gallon from Rebel a few days back. Just opened it up last night. It's very well made. It seems a bit heavier than my used kegs.

After seeing it, based on the the $20 differential between new and used, I think it is worth buying new. I'll use it for a while then decide if I will buy another one. So far it looks pretty good.

I placed an order for one over the weekend (I managed to drain one from the fridge on Sunday :ban:) and expect it within a day or two. IMO, the ones from Rebel can't be beat (at least the 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs). Especially when I see lesser quality used kegs for the same money, or ones that are the same for even more elsewhere. On ebray, it's the luck of the draw if you're going to get away cheaper or not. Plus you never really KNOW what you'll get until it arrives.

My only gripe with the new kegs is that I've yet to manage to get the poppet out of the liquid post. I need to test fit one of the posts I just got (from Keg Connection) to see if they mate properly. IF they do, I might just get some more of those and change out the liquid posts. That way, I can fully take the post apart to clean them. Running PBW through it does clean them, but I'd like to be able to remove the poppet from time to time.

Back