Amarillo is here! Citra and Centennial too!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
Hops Direct just listed their 2011 domestic hops. As I just ran out of Centennial and Amarillo and am low on Citra, I am pretty damn excited!

Of course, the scarcest hops are the most expensive, but still cheaper than by the ounce! I picked up a pound of Bravo and Calypso to cause they were pretty cheap--they look interesting. I am thinking of making an IPA with a ton of Citra/Amarillo/Calypso/Cascade late hopping...:ban:

Eric

Ordered Amarillo, Centennial, and Citra at noon. They're already out of Citra.

Damn, I knew they would go fast. I am glad I ordered this morning.

I don't recall the last time Hops Direct carried Simcoe...I really don't think they sell it.

Eric

Some of those weren't 2011 though right? Although they package them well and store the cold cold

I think only the varieties that specifically state "2011 crop" are such. There will be a few months when the two overlap and you can order either year's crop, once the 2011 crop is released for those varieties. I think that Hops Direct released mostly the 2011 hops for the varieties that they were sold out of.

As far as their storage, I don't know so I can't comment. I have never received a package which led me to suspect poor storage conditions however.

Eric

Yeah, I got in early and got me some citra. I've ordered many pounds from them in the past and they are always top notch. This is the first year that I've seen them announce when they're releasing a new crop. Glad I remembered!

I kept checking the site throughout the morning and then remembered I'm on the East Coast so there's a time difference.

I refreshed the page around 11:30 and saw the new pellets listed and grabbed a pound of Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, Citra and Magnums.

You can get Simcoe from Freshhops.com still, a tad on the expensive side though.

Yup, like an idiot I ordered a boat load thinking they were all 2011, got the order cancelled and got the 4 variety's they do have. My fingers are way faster than my brain.

_

I also bought chinook, amarillo, centennial and citra...was one of the early ones. whooooo!

From their website:
Monday, Oct. 24, 2010, we will be releasing part of our domestic pelleted hops, as we are still in the process of pelleting. We are sorry we are unable to "hold" orders to be added onto later when more varieties are released. Our pelleted hops will have a limit of 1 pound per customer per variety. We will not be taking pre-orders. As our phone lines are very very busy, we encourage you to place your orders online, as this is the quickest easiest way to place an order. Please email questions as well. We thank you for your patience as it may take a few more days than usual to get your order shipped and on its way to you. As always, thank you we appreciate your business... Puterbaugh Farms

I got my amarillo and centennial!

They must have had a really bad crop this year, they sold out of their Whole Leaf just as fast. Oh well, freshops for me this year.

I don't think it was a bad crop so much as a whole lot of demand and not much supply. IPAs are the best selling beer in the craft market sector and breweries really love Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial, and Citra. The growers can only accomdate that demand so quickly.

Eric

I don't think it was a bad crop so much as a whole lot of demand and not much supply. IPAs are the best selling beer in the craft market sector and breweries really love Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial, and Citra. The growers can only accomdate that demand so quickly.

Eric

The way I took the disclaimer on their site was that there might be more hops still being pelletized and processed. Not sure if that means different varieties or more citra, amarillo, centennial, etc. or both.

Got a pound of Centennial and Amarillo! I wonder if we'll see a spike in normal retail prices for IPA hops too?

Wow, great prices. Thanks for that link. I usually shop Freshops because I know they're good people, small family run operation (called their 800 number once, he picked up the phone and he and his wife were eating dinner) but ill try to hit this right next year before they all get sold.

Back