black rasberry wine suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpoc454

Reaction score
I was thinking about making my first batch of wine. I normally make beer, cider and mead. I thought I could ask her for some possible help.
I would like to make a gallon to start off with of black rasberry wine I pick myself.
Anyone have any suggestions or recipes they could suggest?
thanks

Here is a recipe i have from the Alaskan bootleggers bible. I have not tried it yet but thought it could be some help.
5 lb. berries
2.5lb. sugar
1.5 gal water
1 campden tablet
1 pkt wine yeast

Put berries in a mesh fruit bag and crush. Boil water dissolve sugar add to fruit pitch yeast when cool

Here's a 1 lb recipe I made last year. It is delicious. This year I'm picking enough blackberries to make a 15 gallon batch, which I've found will be at least 60 lbs of berries.

* 4 pounds of Blackberries
* 3 pounds white granulated sugar (optional)
* 1 tsp. yeast nutrient
* 1 campden tablet (crushed)
* 1 pkg. wine yeast

Only pick the biggest, juiciest blackberries, the ones that have a dull black color. Remove any leaves or stems, and wash if they have been sprayed. Mash the berries and put them through a straining bag. (the easiest way I have found without a press is to buy a Large potato masher from a restaurant supply store.) Strain the berry juice into the Primary fermentor. Keeping all the pulp in the straining bag, tie a string around the top of the bag and set it down in the primary. Add any top up water and then all of the ingredients except yeast, and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Cover and let sit for 24 hours. The campden tablets are to kill any nasties living on the fruit, and it dissipates after a day. After 24 hours add yeast and stir. Check hydrometer reading. Cover Primary back up. Stir everyday until until S.G. is 1.030 (around 5 days). Once it reaches 1.030 strain juice from the bag. Siphon wine off of the sediment into a glass carboy. Attach airlock. Let the wine age in the carboy and rack the wine in a few months. keeping the air lock attached at all times. siphon when sediment starts to settle to the bottom of the carboy.

sounds like a good recipe, can I do the same with grapefruit?

Thanks,
foxmuldar

Hrm, this sounds interesting. I have been picking the black raspberries now and in about a month the Blackberries will come ripe. I am getting around 3 lb every few days and am planning on making a Blackberry Stout, but if I get enough Blackberries then perhaps a wine would be in order. Sounds nice.

Back