Dry Hop Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirkdover

Reaction score
It has been suggested on here that 7-10 days is ideal for a decent dry hop. I'm on day 10 today but due to "stuff" going on I may not have time to rack this batch today. What is the result of the beer if I wait to rack and what is the LONGEST I can go before I need to take the brew off the hops? Can I wait another 5-6 days without poor results? This is an American Wheat BTW ( the style of Gumballhead). Thanks for the help

It is possible that you will start to get grassy flavors coming out, which may be more noticeable in a wheat beer. However don't worry about it. You may decide that it is ok afterall or at least you will have first hand knowledge of the threshold you can go to. One thing for sure it won't be horrible or anything.

I always don't sweat it if I have to do something out of the norm. First hand knowledge makes you a better brewer.

Thank you. It sounds like I can wait a bit then. I just don't want to have put in the time, effort, and money to get an undrinkable beer

dirkdover said:
Thank you. It sounds like I can wait a bit then. I just don't want to have put in the time, effort, and money to get an undrinkable beer

Understandable. It certainly will not be undrinkable. At worst it could just have an off flavor.

New question: I hopped with pellets and the bag has been floating on the surface the whole time. Should the bag sink? Do I need to push it down? Does it make any difference?

It shouldn't make much difference. Some people put some kind of weight in the bag. I personally just add the pellets without a bag. It should be plenty saturated and "hopping" happily as is. But if it makes you feel better push it down gently.

On the same note, can you remove the bag? That would ease your worry about the long dry hop time. Then you can package your beer when your ready.

Celticway said:
On the same note, can you remove the bag? That would ease your worry about the long dry hop time. Then you can package your beer when your ready.

Since it's floating at the top I could probably fish it out of there. I think I may just leave it in. By the time I go to bottle the hops would be in there for 15-16 days. Based on what I've seen that shouldn't be too bad. But this is a wheat and they are Amarillo hops. I may pull them out during the week if I get jumpy

Back