American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had my first pour, love this brew. Gonna be a keeper.

117416298-60fcd1d58e9fde1525e6b329b8a15d17.4c1c39b8-full.jpg

started to drink this the past week. it taste great, but it foams like crazy from the tap. i didnt change anything about my setup and all my other beers have poured fine. i can live with it for now. good recipe!

Cheers for the great recipe.
I have my first batch of it on the fermenter now :D

I'd like to throw a thank you out there for this recipe. This is going to be a regular brew for me. I undershot my gravity and it still turned out great.

Brewing this again in the morning weather permitting, this is my second time brewing this one and it was also the first ag I attempted. It will now be my house ale, Prost EdWort and thank you.

Cheers...:mug:

EdWort, have you ever thought of just how many variants of this recipe have been spawned? mine is a 50/50 split of 2-row and MO, C-40 and a centennial/cascade hop melding throughout the boil. I have noted in my trolling through the forums that this is the inspiration for a LOT of brews!!!

Mine is still churning away in the secondary after 16 days. This was my first chemical addition brew. I tried to get the Ca and Mg up to a minimum prescribed level. I don't know if this made a difference on how long this has been fermenting.

Brewed up eight gallons of this yesterday. I overshot the water and it came in a little light (1.038), but I was looking for something light, so I'm hoping it works out.

I fiddled with the hops a bit in BrewTarget because of higher alpha% and also adjusted the grainbill for a larger target batch. Because of the extra water, I split the batch into two four-gallon ferments. Half went into a 6.5Gal glass carboy with Safale US-05 and the other into a keg. I only has the one packet of yeast, so I haven't picthed the corny yet, but it's been pressurized and I hope to pick up more yeast on Wednesday. I'll probably get Notty for that one.

Really looking forward to this one!

EdWort, all I have to say is OMG! This is by far the best home brew I've made yet. Freakin' delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

I just made this earlier today. This is my second attempt, the first (about a year ago) was undrinkable due to bad yeast. I think I made the same mistake with this one. I pitched the Nottingham about 3 hours ago and just realized it was from the infamous 1081140118v recalled lot. Fortunately I had another packet from a more recent lot. I just pitched that. Hopefully that can start working and eat up the sugars before the recalled yeast has chance to add any off-flavors.

I just made this earlier today. This is my second attempt, the first (about a year ago) was undrinkable due to bad yeast. I think I made the same mistake with this one. I pitched the Nottingham about 3 hours ago and just realized it was from the infamous 1081140118v recalled lot. Fortunately I had another packet from a more recent lot. I just pitched that. Hopefully that can start working and eat up the sugars before the recalled yeast has chance to add any off-flavors.

If I remember correctly, the recalled Nottingham was okay, except that it had a long lag time. So hopefully, you won't get any off flavors.

just brewed my second batch of this beer. so excited. i've got it cold crashing right now in my chest freezer. how long should i cold crash for? i have heard 3 days.

when does this beer hit its prime? is it ready to drink after a week or should i wait a few more weeks?

Would using german pils instead of 2row make much difference? I have a bunch of pils that I could use. Otherwise I'll make a run to LHBS. Thanks

Would using german pils instead of 2row make much difference? I have a bunch of pils that I could use. Otherwise I'll make a run to LHBS. Thanks

It will be a bit lighter, but will still make a great beer. Be sure to boil for 90 minutes though to get rid of DMS.

Humm I brewed this yesterday and my boil time was 60min. I am not familiar with DMS and what affect it has on the beer. Am I going to have issues with my batch?

I just kegged my AG version 2 days ago. It came out lighter in color than I expected. Also less hop character. I went back and checked my order and discovered that the AA was lower with the hops that I ordered. Rookie mistake, it was my first AG batch and I was worried about mashing.

I can't seem to explain the color difference though.

Anyone use fruit with this beer?

I want to make a beer for my wife (she loves Leinekugals Berry Weiss); but something that I can drink at the same time (I think Berry Weiss is overkill). I want to use this beer as a base with raspberries and blueberries added to secondary. This will be my third AG brew so I am not comfortable with experimenting yet.

What do you think about this beer with fruit?

I made this over the weekend, it was my 2nd AG batch. The test tube sample tastes great! Can't wait to try it in a month or so!!

I got an SG 1.046. Efficiency right around 80% :)

Thanks Ed!

Quick scheduling question. I brewed this on Mon. Aug. 2. I want to serve it at a Labor day party. I bottle. Does 2 weeks in the primary and 3 in the bottles sound good to everyone? Or should I reverse that?

looks great!.
i am new to brewing so let me ask you a question.

If i want to do 2 gallon boil or 3 gallon boil for extract , should i add more hops to compensate hop utilization? if then could any1 calculate hop usages?

thanks.

I brewed eight gallons of this on July 11, bottled a week and a half ago.

I intended on brewing on the tenth, but got rained out. The house name is "Rain Delay Pale Ale".

I mashed a little low and fermented out a little dry to 1.010, so I compensated with a little maltodextrine and primed with light DME. for my second AG batch, I have to say this came out great. I split this between a glass carboy and corny keg for fermenting and pitched Safale US-05 (carboy) and Danstar Nottingham (corny) dry yeasts. Both fermented at about 67 to 73 degrees, which is a little warm. Now they've been in bottles fr a week and a half, the carbonatoin is about peffect and I get great fruity esters from the US-05 and a slight sourness to the Nottingham. I'm not so sure how close these adhere to the style, but I am loving these beers!

dsc_0001.jpg

Going to brew the P.M. version for my next brew.

As I am not used to Nottingham, how many packets would be acceptable/suggested? And I am assuming I rehydrate prior to pitching!?

Going to brew the P.M. version for my next brew.

As I am not used to Nottingham, how many packets would be acceptable/suggested? And I am assuming I rehydrate prior to pitching!?

I only needed one for the four gallons of my split batch. That should be plenty for five as well. I used one packet for five gallons of my prior blonde ale without issue. Also rehydrated, yes.

I brewed this last night and I think it turned out great. It smelled awesome and my OG was 1.050, so I was happy. This was my first time using hop leaves instead of pellets, so I'm curious how it will turn out.

I brewed this last night and I think it turned out great. It smelled awesome and my OG was 1.050, so I was happy. This was my first time using hop leaves instead of pellets, so I'm curious how it will turn out.

So how much wort loss did you have compared to pellets?

If anything, less loss, since I was able to pour more into the bucket and keep most of the hops in the kettle. The trub was more solid parts of hops than a mush.

OK, this was my first AG recipe. The brew day had many disasters,mash temp problems, boilover, but the beer still turned out great! So since it is forgiving, I think I will try it again.

I would like to use this as a basis for my homegrown cascades and centennial. I will be brewing 10 gallons on Friday (I took the day off from work just to brew!) I was thinking of using Marris Otter and bumping up the gravity a bit. If I increase the base malt amount, should the specialty malt amounts go up by a similar percentage?

Also, for bittering I have a couple ounces of columbus pellets rated at 12.2AA that have been sealed in those little bags in my freezer for over a year. Any idea how much AA they might have lost? Should I toss them and just get something else for the bittering?

Thanks to all on this board for their wisdom, and to Ed for coming up with a great recipe!

Haus Pale Ale - Partial Mash version

Made a partial mash version of EdWort's Bee Cave Bewery Haus Pale Ale
1.5kg Light Malt extract
2 kg Pale malt
1kg Vienna maly
0.25kg crystal
Mashed at 65C and collected 11.5 litres

Hops
28gm Cascade @ 60 min
14gm Cascade @ 30 min
7gm Cascade @ 15 min
Boiled down to 10 litres

Extract added late addition.
Topped up volume to 21 litres.
Pitched with US-05 yeast
Og 1052
FG 1011

Kegged

Taste.
First time I have used Cascade hops so I was taken back by the floral taste of the hops.
In NZ we have an award winning beer called Epic Pale Ale.
see http://epicbeer.com/epic-pale-ale/
And yes this tastes very similar to Epic Pale Ale.

So if you like Cascade hops then this recipe is the one.

I'm not a big fan of this style of beer but others that have tried it and like the bold taste of this one.
Good head and color of orange hues.
Next time use the same malt but some other type of hops and less ibu's.
4928535239_9ae69fac2a.jpg

Alright, I just got done puttin this one in the fermentor. a few more minutes and i'll pitch the nottingham. i altered it a bit, I used 3 Lbs Vienna and 1 Lb even on the crystal, just in case my efficiency is low . i'll take a SG reading before i pitch.

labor day weekend, and my honey wheat beer just carbed. :ban: Hard to put it down

I just found this forum and stumbled upon your recipe Ed, so I decided to brew it. This is my third all grain beer and also my third time brewing. Everything went well and there is a lot of activity in my fermenter. My OG was 1.0525. both of my other beers had a good OG too but they did not get to the target FG. I do not know why this happened. I hope this one works because I really want to drink some homebrew:cross:

I just found this forum and stumbled upon your recipe Ed, so I decided to brew it. This is my third all grain beer and also my third time brewing. Everything went well and there is a lot of activity in my fermenter. My OG was 1.0525. both of my other beers had a good OG too but they did not get to the target FG. I do not know why this happened. I hope this one works because I really want to drink some homebrew:cross:

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Watch your ferment temps and have patience. It's OK to leave it go for two weeks before racking or bottling.

Okay, so my beer has been in the fermenter for a week and I checked the gravity which was 1.012. My starting gravity on this batch was 1.0525 so by my calculations I should have around 6.4% alcohol. WOW I usually don't drink beer with this much alcohol...but i'm willing to adapt:drunk: The sample was also very tasty. I have moved it to a secondary for a few days until I get another keg and then I will keg, carbonate, and start drinking:)

Eric

Ed, great recipe. You have converted me, I was not a big pale ale drinker, now I love the stuff. It tastes so much better, the more that it ages.

hauspaleale.jpg

Okay, so my beer has been in the fermenter for a week and I checked the gravity which was 1.012. My starting gravity on this batch was 1.0525 so by my calculations I should have around 6.4% alcohol. WOW I usually don't drink beer with this much alcohol...but i'm willing to adapt:drunk: The sample was also very tasty. I have moved it to a secondary for a few days until I get another keg and then I will keg, carbonate, and start drinking:)

Eric

+9 days for me . gonna wait 2 more then crash cool

Back